PDA

View Full Version : Wrinkled Skin?

Wrinkled Skin?

jennrosefx
11-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Anouther hatching question:

If the skin around it's neck is sorta wrinkled, and if the snake just shed days ago, what could it be? Dehydration maybe? Something else? He has a waterbowl in there, and I've yet to see him drink (which means nothing, I suppose, because it's not like I'm watching him 24/7). I know he knows it's there though, so I assume if he gets thirsty he drinks.

Roy Munson
11-14-2005, 02:36 PM
I've seen Kathy Love post about corn snakes being too stupid to find their water dishes sometimes. She recommended placing the water dish on the enclosure's perimeter, as that is where they spend most of their cruise-time.

When I place my snakes back into their containers after a feeding, I usually stick their heads into the water dish as a friendly reminder. They will often chug a bit while they're still in my hand-- sometimes they ignore it.

jennrosefx
11-14-2005, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I've been doing that too.

It's funny, my yearling from the start would go straight for her water the second I'd put her back every time..and chug chug chug...as if the handling made her thirsty! LOL

This little guy though...the two times I held him to the water to show him it was there...well....he dove right in for a swim. But I watched him...it never looked like he was drinking while in the water. He'd just swim around for a bit with his head under the water, sit there, and then crawl out and go hide again. It never looked like he was gulping though. I could try spritzing maybe? My yearling goes hog-wild for that....she seems to love drinking droplets off of the glass and will even come up to the spritzer while I'm doing it and drink straight from there! She's a wacky gal.

Preita
11-14-2005, 03:47 PM
She's a wacky gal.

This just cracked me up. :D My new little boy is extremely active, he thinks he's so sneaky watching you. And then when you do watch him he bobs his nose against the glass. lol I call it his sneeky shuffle lol

Have you tried a lower dish? maybe a plate with a little bit of a lip?

jennrosefx
11-14-2005, 07:11 PM
I could. This is the bowl I have in there now-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/ghoulgurl/DSC_1904.jpg

It's pretty low, as it's sunken into the aspen.

I dunno. One guy got me really spooked about the loose skin around the neck on anouther site. Said it was a serious problem and if you can actually see loose skin, it's usually a very bad sign. He ate well. And when I hold him, he's extremely active and alert (allthough, when in his tank, he is constantly hidding...of course, he's only been here 6 days, so he's still adjusting...my yearling took months before she'd start exploring). So now, I'm all worried...whether or not I should be, is anouther question...but I am.

Preita
11-14-2005, 07:29 PM
I dont know. maybe when you handle him try for the water each time? Or maybe try a plate level with the aspen surface.

How loose does it look? Can you post a picture?