PDA

View Full Version : Fumes

Fumes

babbaloo99
11-15-2005, 12:24 PM
Hi all. I just got done pulling all the carpeting out of my house to refinish the original wood floors underneath. The process should take about 3-4 days to complete once the contractor starts. I plan to have all my snakes out of the house during this process. However, once we move back in, how long should I worry about the impacts of "outgasing" or fumes from the finishing so that they don't affect my snakes? The contractor says even though the floors are dry enough to move in, it could be several days more until the "smell" subsides. I was thinking of not moving them back in until I can't smell the fumes anymore, but wondered if anyone had any suggestions. I'm not quite sure yet where I'll be able to keep them during this time.

Dminor9
11-15-2005, 12:51 PM
I think to be safe, keep them away till the smell is gone. My wife and I had ceramic tile and new carpet installed in our house 2 years ago. I did not have a snake at that time. But we did move our 2 cockatiels out of the house until the process was complete and the smell was gone. We were told by a bird breeder that the fumes would be detrimental to our birds. Won't hurt to play it safe. Sorry I couldn't help more. Good Luck. :cheers:

babbaloo99
11-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Hey, thanks for that personal experience. That is very helpful. Funny though, we'll move ourselves in, just not our pets. :)

Slippery Ernie
11-15-2005, 05:11 PM
I don't know if they make household air filters that use carbon, but that would probably help get rid of volatile organic vapors.

Also, certain common houseplants are supposed to be able to get rid of VOC's and "scrub" the air. I don't remember which.