• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Rough shed...

Silvae

I've had my snow corn, Louis, for about a month now and he just finished his first shed. It didn't go too well, though. He got about 1/4 of it off, but it was in pieces and he was having a hard time with the rest. I tried the wet paper towel technique, and it worked well enough to get the rest off.

I was just wondering, is it normal for some snakes NOT to go blue before shedding? I was under the impression that they got cloudy eyes and then shed their skin. How much time is there between the blue phase and the actual shed? I didn't see him for around two days, he tends to hide out in his cave while digesting his food. When I went to get him on the third day he had started shedding.

Also, any avice for making his next shed an easier one would be appreciated. (Sorry if there are other threads like this one, but I had a hard time finding any related to the blue phase question)

Silvae said:
I've had my snow corn, Louis, for about a month now and he just finished his first shed. It didn't go too well, though. He got about 1/4 of it off, but it was in pieces and he was having a hard time with the rest. I tried the wet paper towel technique, and it worked well enough to get the rest off.

I was just wondering, is it normal for some snakes NOT to go blue before shedding? I was under the impression that they got cloudy eyes and then shed their skin. How much time is there between the blue phase and the actual shed? I didn't see him for around two days, he tends to hide out in his cave while digesting his food. When I went to get him on the third day he had started shedding.

Also, any avice for making his next shed an easier one would be appreciated. (Sorry if there are other threads like this one, but I had a hard time finding any related to the blue phase question)

Hi there
I'm glad the paper towel trick work for you. I think it takes about six to eight days for the sheding process. You probable miss him going "blue" because they clear up after a day or so. Try increase humidity a little. You could mist the Viv. And/ or close up the vent or top with a towel so less humidity escape. Or make a humid hide, by using moist moss.

Also for more ideas scroll down to the bottom of this page and there should be some related post. More folks will chime in too.

Good luck :cheers:

Yah, one of the hardest thing for newbie albino owners (amels, snows, opal, butter, etc) regarding shedding is this 'blue' question.

Seeing an alemanistic snake go into blue is not nearly as easy as a normal or anerythristic. When an amel snake goes into blue, the eye turns more of a cloudy color, and not really a blue. This happened to me last week with my opal.

Anyway, from blue to clear is a few days, and then normally a shed a few more days after that. Normally it's a 5-7 day process, or thereabouts. Each snake is different.

You were given a good suggestion about raising the humidity, just don't over-do it. Depending on your substate misting might be a bad idea. You can also increase the humidity by putting a larger water bowl inside the tank on the warm side.

Thanks for all the input, first of all. I'll take all your suggestions into account for his next shed.

Before I try misting, my substrate currently is newspaper. That's until I go out and buy the aspen bedding. The petstore by my home only sells a giant bag of it (and it's seriously expensive). Would misting be a bad idea with newspaper or aspen as substrate?

I've already covered half his viv with a moist cloth, and I'm going to have two bowls of water for him as well. I think his current one is too dinky for a real swim.

If I wanted to get him a moist hide, whereabouts could I find it? The petstores I've been to have mostly decorative things for his viv, but I might have missed it if it blended into the other stuff...

Most folks here mist using aspen substrate. You should have no problem. Using two water bowl might be a an overkill right now. Do you know what you humidity are up too?? Corn don't need high levels.
Please do a search on humid hides, you'll come up with some ideal there for making you own humidity hide.
I just damping some moss and put it under my hide for the shed cycle.

Good luck to you.

I have a snow as well and like Joe said it can be difficult to tell when they go blue. As you get to know your snake better it should be easier for you to tell. Better luck with future sheds!

Back