PDA

View Full Version : Lag days when moving up mouse size

Lag days when moving up mouse size

Cornylover2
11-18-2005, 11:27 AM
My corn is now 4 months old, about 25 inches long. For the longest time he had just been eating 1 pinkie every 5 days until I took him to a Reptile shop who scolded me for underfeeding my snake. I'm new, didn't know any better since their neck is so small, I didn't think he could handle it. So, I moved him up to fuzzies that same day which he ate with no problem. That was about 2 months ago and for the past 3 feedings, I've tried hoppers, which again he has eaten with no problems, no regurges, everythings good.

My question, please don't scold me, but I do feed live prey. Hoppers are much more active, and I feed in a separate tub that is about the length of the snake, much smaller than his viv. When on hoppers, should I continue to feed every 5 days or do they require a more lengthy time between feedings? With the pinkies & fuzzies, Rodgie would go straight for the mouse and gobble down within 5-10 minutes. With the hoppers, it's almost as if he isn't interested in them and sometimes will take over a 1/2 hour for him to grab and constrict. Yes, I do sit there for as long as it takes him to eat because I know of the risks, but eventually he does, just not as fast as the other size food. Is it because he isn't as hungry and I should feed every 7 - 10 days??? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

starsevol
11-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Being that hoppers are more active, he might be intimidated by their movement. Live hoppers also pose a danger to him and maybe he senses it and is being cautious.

You should SERIOUSLY consider switching him to thawed prey. Whether you sit there or not a bad bite can happen before you can stop it. Or you could at least render the prey unconscious before feeding.

Unless of course you are the type that "gets off" on feeding live...there is no excuse for feeding live prey that is capable of fighting back.

MegF.
11-19-2005, 02:56 PM
Once my snakes are off pinkies I go to every 7 days. If you can go to frozen/thawed it would be safer. Anything larger than a hopper and you're looking at possible teeth marks.