PDA

View Full Version : Neurologic Symptoms

Neurologic Symptoms

dionythicus
11-18-2005, 03:18 PM
I checked on my '03 mot/stripe male two days ago and found that he seems to be having problems with his muscle control. I took him out and its like holding a rubber snake. He can move around his tub seemingly ok, but if I'm holding him he flops like he can't support himself.

No other snake in my collection appears affected by this and he's been fine for the whole 8 months we've had him, until now. It's almost like he's had a stroke of something. I can't get him in to the vet until next week. I'm thinking I'll probably have to euthanize him. I hope it's not something contagious.

I was hoping to use him to maybe get some stripe hets this spring. He's so docile and nice looking. This sucks.

MegF.
11-19-2005, 02:54 PM
It does suck. The fact that he can move around his viv alright is puzzling though. Usually if they have a severe neurological problem, they won't be able to move properly anywhere. Have you had any type of insecticide or other toxin sprayed around the area lately that could possibly explain this. Hope he recovers and that the vet can help you.

bitsy
11-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Agree with Meg - from what I've seen, some sort of chemical exposure usually causes this kind of problem, but if he's in the same room as your other snakes it's odd that they haven't been affected as well.

High temperatures can also cause neurological problems. Could there be a problem with your stat? What are the temp readings at the warm and cool ends?

dionythicus
11-19-2005, 11:21 PM
He's at room temp, like most of my collection, with no other ill affects. No chemical contact of any kind. It's extremely odd. The only other idea I can come up with is that maybe its a genetic condition? I bought him from a breeder I trust, but she didn't breed him and didn't know his background. I suppose he could have a genetic problem that only surfaced now.

Rorryy
11-21-2005, 08:14 PM
Any improvements over the last couple days?