PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the 'season'

Regarding the 'season'

bmm
09-08-2002, 09:21 PM
How come corns are bred during a certain season?

I of course know that the lighting changes, and temp changes trigger different things and make them "ready to go" as does brumation. But why does it have to be during the same time of year?

I am going to take my chances and not brumate my corns, and just put them together in the spring because I cannot brumate here at this point. But can corns be bred all year long?

And if not, why?

bmm

Iris
09-08-2002, 11:24 PM
If you control the factors well enough, you can trick the corns into thinking spring has come and make them breed out of "normal" season, like in the winter or something. You can't make them breed all year round like every 2 months or anything though.
Corns don't have to be brumated in order to breed. I know a few pairs of snakes who breed every spring like clockwork without being brumated and their eggs are fine.

bmm
09-09-2002, 12:49 AM
Yeah I knew they couldn't go at it like mice every month LOL man that would be crazy though....

But yes like you mentioed tricking them. Was just curious.

I hope I will have good results as well with the non-brumating!

bmm

Neil
09-09-2002, 02:20 AM
Many people have great results from not brumating snakes although, IMO, the cooling period is very helpful because it encourages changes to take place in the snakes' bodies. And what Iris said is right, as long as you alter the levels of light and heat then snakes can be fooled into thinking it's winter even if it's not and still breed very successfully.

bmm
09-09-2002, 08:39 PM
I hope I get those good results. But like you said, the cooling period does encourage the changes and what not. Hopefully since we are in canada, and my snakes live by natural light they will know its winter anyways, and know its spring.

This spring my male snow was quite nutty for awhile., and roaming his cage like a damn fool all day!! *LOL* hopefully that will happen again this year, and he will roam right over to his girlfriend! :)

bmm