PDA

View Full Version : dead

dead

permethius
11-20-2005, 10:21 AM
permethius is dead... i went in this morning and i lifted up his hide and he didnt move so i picked him up and he didnt move at all, then i set back down and he didnt move, what could have caused this... :cry:

nozz
11-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Sorry for the little fella.can"t help you with why he died.Pretty new to keeping corns myself.Don"t give up though

KatieL
11-20-2005, 10:29 AM
Awww, I'm really sorry. I know you've been very concerned about him for a while now, and it seems like you did everything you could for him. Some little corns just aren't meant to make it, and if I remember correctly he hadn't shed in quite a long time (although you were expecting it soon since he went blue, right?) so perhaps there was something wrong with him. It never hurts to double check all your husbandry techniques though. Make sure your temps/humidity/feeding were all right. Hopefully you can figure out what happened to him. If you are very concerned (and have the funds) you could always take him to the vet for a necropsy to get a more definitive answer. I'm really sorry for your loss, though. I know it must be tough. :(

BeckyG
11-20-2005, 10:32 AM
So sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you.

permethius
11-20-2005, 10:37 AM
yeah he went blue then cleared up 4 days ago. i didnt want to feed untill he shed so i was holding back on that but i kept the tank at at least 78 and no hotter then 83 i changed his water every with fresh water i disenfected the vivarium every two months. when i found him he was curled up in the classic snake spiral. all i hope is that he went quickly with no pain. he didnt eat for only 2 weeks.

Lennycorn
11-20-2005, 10:57 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Sometimes I guess, it's just meat to be.

But it's still a bummer!

babbaloo99
11-20-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm really sorry to hear that you lost him.

peep_827
11-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Sorry for your loss.

Roy Munson
11-20-2005, 12:18 PM
I'm so sorry, Nelson. Your love for the little guy was very apparent from your posts. Like most baby animals, corn hatchlings are fragile little things, and they don't all make it. Maybe when you're ready for another one, you can get a yearling from a reputable breeder; they are so much less hassle, and are usually well established by then.
-Dean

permethius
11-20-2005, 12:21 PM
thats what i was thinking im not going to get a hatchling again untill im better grounded with snake care.

carol
11-20-2005, 12:59 PM
So sorry to hear that! What did you use to disinfect your cage? But I agree, sometimes you can't pinpoint "why" and some just don't make it no matter what.

permethius
11-20-2005, 02:39 PM
about a drop of bleach ion a spray bottle of water and wiped it off. after i did that i sprayed it down with a diffirent bottle with regular water and washed it off

Tegucentric
11-20-2005, 04:31 PM
Nelson,

Sorry to hear about your loss. It's nearly impossible to tell without knowing every single aspect of your husbandry, but it may not even be related to your husbandry. It could of just been one of those snakes not intended to make it.

When it's time that you want a new snake, let me know. As stated awhile back in a discussion we had prior, I am a fellow Mainer so you can save a little bit of cash on shipping if I have something available that you are interested in.

Rick

snake_eyes
11-20-2005, 04:37 PM
sorry to hear of your loss...

i too am a teenage "snake keeper". i know its not the easiest thing to do raising a hatchling like that. :(

coyote
11-20-2005, 04:41 PM
My impression is that you were very conscientious with your husbandry. I had been watching the other thread waiting for the good news. It is sad that that didn't happen. It was worth it to hope. There are many here who have had a similar experience. My first hatchling corn died. She had problems that I continued to deal with and continued to hope. She lived a year but never grew and never gained any weight. My second hatchling is the opposite. He eats eagerly and regularly, is active, tolerant about being handled and is just more vigorous.Odds are everything will go as hoped with the next one.

SnakeAround
11-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Sorry for your loss, most probably his dead wasn't caused by mistreatment.

carol
11-20-2005, 07:26 PM
I agree, it sounds like you were doing everything right to me.

tradervic
11-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Sorry to hear about it. Don't give up. If you can, get another one, but a little older and feeding on hoppers.

serpentalley
11-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Oh poor fella, we share your pain too. We just lost a tiny little albino okeetee that my daughter got for her birthday. We only had her 5 days and she died too. Nevery realized that they were so fragile. This was our first snake but we have now an older, more established baby now and she is doing fine. She is a motley snow. Don't give up, I also think it is a good idea to get a larger snake too.

Bobo's Mama
11-20-2005, 10:19 PM
:cry: Oh no... I just got home and found this. I feel so sad for you. I was hoping to read that he had shed. Poor little guy. I'd definately try to convince your parents to pay for a necropsy if possible, just so you know. I know I'd want to know what was wrong with the little guy.

ghosthousecorns
11-20-2005, 10:29 PM
So sorry to read about your snake, it was obvious you loved him very much and did everything you could, I know how it feels to lose a hatchling & you have my sympathy