PDA

View Full Version : Feeding outside of enclosure

Feeding outside of enclosure

MindUtopia
11-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Hi. I just got my first cornsnake, a ghost hatchling, at a reptile show over the weekend. I've read that it might be better to take them out of their enclosure to feed in a seperate container. Is this recommended? If I do this, what is the best way to get him back in his enclosure after feeding without causing him to regurgitate? How long should I wait? Or is it just better to feed in his own enclosure? I just want to be prepared when I feed him for the first time in a few days.

Thanks,
Karen

Lennycorn
11-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Hi Karen,

Feeding in a differenc container help reduces the chances of the snake eatting substrate (bedding). After feeding your snake will "squirm", moving the food item to lower part of his body. Then you can just pick him up ,avoiding lump area,and return to his Viv.
Handling your snake a lot after feeding will increase the chances of a regure.
And of course, no handling the snake for two days after feeding.

Good luck to you... :cheers:

Taceas
11-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Grats on your new corn! And welcome to the addictive hobby. :grin01:

I usually wait 10 mins after they've eaten to get the food settled and their jaw reset before putting them back. It also helps them to realize they ate, and don't need to snap at moving things thinking its food. ;)

Adults I just lift and put back. Younger snakes, I just carry them back in the feeding container (usually a deli cup) and gently dump them back on the substrate. That way I don't pick them up and disturb them too much.

If you're using a one piece substrate (newspaper, paper towel, reptile carpet) you can feed in the enclosure. However its not recommended for another reason. As they get older they learn that when the lid on their enclosure is lifted, food is going to be offered and they instinctively snap at it. But you may just be reaching in to get them out or to clean and get bitten. That's why most of us feed outside the enclosure, to avoid substrate ingestion and a bad learned behavior. =)

Wilder
11-28-2005, 07:39 PM
What I've done so far with my snakes is to feed them in seperate containers, then lift the container up and use that to transport them back to their vivs. When tilted a bit they get the idea and quickly leave the feeding container for the more warm and comfy haven of a hide.

However, there have been a few occasion when one or the other will be half out of the container shortly after eating and when I put my hand in place they will crawl onto it. In such cases I carry them back to the viv, careful to support their body so the mousy lump isn't hanging down. So far I've had no problems.

Congrats on the new snake! :) Just remember to leave him alone for a few days to settle in before handling him, and like was said, no handling for a couple of days after feeding. You'll be fine. ;)

moonchild
11-28-2005, 08:29 PM
However its not recommended for another reason. As they get older they learn that when the lid on their enclosure is lifted, food is going to be offered and they instinctively snap at it. But you may just be reaching in to get them out or to clean and get bitten. That's why most of us feed outside the enclosure, to avoid substrate ingestion and a bad learned behavior. =)

What we do to avoid this happening, is when we are going to feed, one of us takes the snake out and holds it while the other puts the mouse into their enclosure. This way, they get food when you put them back in and don't associate the enclosure being opened with getting food.

MegF.
11-28-2005, 08:51 PM
I've found that you only get a feeding response if you only open the lid to feed. I fed a few of mine in their enclosures because they were too nervous to feed in a seperate container. However, in between feedings, I held them, changed the water, and cleaned the substrate. They didn't know if I was feeding or not. They never struck at me once. Even my Green tree pythons don't strike at me in the cage and they are never fed out of their enclosures. At night is a different story as they are on the prowl, but during the day, no problem.

MindUtopia
11-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think I will go ahead and feed in a seperate enclosure, especially since I am using aspen rather than newspaper or paper towels so there would be a chance of him taking in some substrate.

Hope to post a pic soon! Oh, and believe me, I know about addicting hobbies. I raise tarantulas too. I started with 2 and have 22 of them now. I'm just hoping that the snake thing won't get quite so outta hand! I may need to get a bigger apartment soon! :eek1:

Thanks guys,
Karen

The Nothing
11-29-2005, 12:29 PM
hehe, had to get a bigger place myself. 200+ scorps, only a few Ts :D
been temped to bring in more corns, butour one rescue is good enough for now.

We feed all our snakes in separate feeding enclosures. Not even my Amazon Tree Boa gets fed in his enclosure. Feedings for our larger boas are done in opaque rubbermaid tubs, after the strike and coil, we put the lid on to give them some privacy. Our corn snake and lil BCI get shoeboxes that i've put lil windows into. The ATB is fed in a large paperbag.

Never had a snake regurge because of transporting from feedbox to tank. Do take care during the move though. My old roommate took a bite from his 5' red tail because he wasn't careful while moving him and let his belly sage too much and it became very uncomfortable.

Some young snakes have a very strong feeding responce when taking them out of their feed box, even with a full belly. We tend to tip the enclosures a bit so they come sliding to us, so that they know its not more food coming their way. The Amazon will always end up with a snakehook though... no taming that one...