PDA

View Full Version : A feeding problem, need help

A feeding problem, need help

Max123
11-30-2005, 01:53 PM
My snake hasn't eaten for about 5 weeks now. He's 4 years old and has always eaten very well. My temps seem OK, hes spent a long time in his hide recently though. About 7 weeks ago we fed him a chick for a bit of a change. He ate that alright, and then the next week he ate his usual adult mouse but since then he doesn't seem interested in the mice i give him. My first thought was that after he ate that chick he may only want them. But that doesn't explain much because he ate a mouse the next week.

I know adults can go a long time without eating and i shouldn't be worried, but i was just wondering if any of you knew a reason that may have stopped him eating? and if there is anything i can do to get him back on track?

thanks everyone,

Max

pcar
11-30-2005, 02:23 PM
has he deficated properly since you fed him the chick? or the mouse afterwards? Has he ever been brumated? it is that time of the year for them to start slowing down on food and taking a nice winter's rest. other than that, you might want to check the temps again, make sure they are in the 78 to 85 degree range, that he has plenty of water, and that the humidity is correct.

I would say something about him being in shed, but 5 weeks seems a long time for that to happen.

if you start to get worried, you could always offer another chick and see if he eats that.

MegF.
11-30-2005, 06:23 PM
My male went off food for 3 months last January. It's a bit early for breeding time, but maybe yours is just an early bird. I sure wouldn't sweat 5 weeks with an adult.