PDA

View Full Version : Sexing My Two Corn Snakes

Sexing My Two Corn Snakes

RBurton
09-10-2002, 06:02 PM
I have two baby corn snakes that are currently being housed togather...so far so good. But i know soon enough i need to get them sexed so i can seperate them if neccesary. Any one have any answers for me?!

bmm
09-10-2002, 06:16 PM
You can get your cornsnakes sexed by a vet. It should be quite cheap as it takes mere minutes to do it.

Or if you know a breeder, the breeder you purchased them from, or a good quality local snake guy you can get one of them to do it possibly.

Sexing can't really be done at hime until you have a set of probes, and have an experienced person teach and show you a few times :)

And you are very correct when you say you may need to seperate them. It can be tragic for a female to become gravid to early! :)

bmm

DirtySanchez
09-12-2002, 05:41 PM
Well i am in the same postion that u are in i have babies living together right now born in aug. I need them sexed soo too. I saw on a web site that even as babies males have longer tails and if you gentle push underneath the anus u could push the hemipenis out. But i don't know about doing that(just don't trust my self) BUt looking at my babies(amel x snow)(2 amel and 2 snow) they just seem so transparent that u could see any insides they have(just shadows of heart and stomach and i saw no shadow of the peins, but i need a to know as soon as possible and prefer the cheaper the better(college student)

bmm
09-12-2002, 07:16 PM
Seperate them now and you don't have to worry about paying a vet to do it until you want it done. Rubbermaid containers are cheap, can be larger than tanks, and snakes feel secure in them. You can surely afford a rubbermaid and heating pad if you can afford to feed them each week!

That way you have no time limit on when you need to get the sexed. It also better for the snakes.

bmm

TripleMoonsExotic
10-13-2002, 11:47 PM
I also need to know how to tell the difference!

I already have a 4 set of probes that I use with my pythons, but I don't know if it is the same with corns.

What is the scale count per male/female?

whiffin
10-14-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by blckkat

<130 - Female
130-140 - Hard 2 tell
>140 Male

HTH

pinatamonkey
10-14-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by blckkat
I also need to know how to tell the difference!

I already have a 4 set of probes that I use with my pythons, but I don't know if it is the same with corns.

Male = 7-10 deep
Female = 3-5 deep

TripleMoonsExotic
10-14-2002, 10:15 PM
whiffin...you are ZERO FUNNY...

thank you pinata! at least it doesn't differ that much from my pythons!

Axe
10-14-2002, 11:00 PM
I don't believe whiffin was attempting to be funny.

He was talking about the scale count from the cloaca to the tip of the tail, not the depth to which the probe goes.

whiffin
10-18-2002, 06:53 PM
Cheers Axe, I was!

Sorry if I misunderstood teh question, I'd hate for someone to harm their snake

Sorry :(

Axe
10-19-2002, 03:56 PM
It's ok Whiffin, we all get confused at the time, and to be honest, I had absolutely NO idea what you were talking about when I read your post either, lol.

After seeing this thread, I did a lil research on sexing techniques in corn snakes (seeing if there were alternatives, or "best guesses", to probing & popping), and the scale count from the vent to tail tip popped up :)