• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How do you tell a blood red motley?

kenalotia

How can you tell if a blood red is also a motley? All corns have the first few blotches joined, but some have more than others. Some motleys don't look all that "motley-ish" (with lots of joined blotches), but you can tell by the patternless belly. My new little hypo bloodred has 10-11 connected blotches, which is a lot more than other non-motley corns I've got. And of course she has a patternless belly from being a blood red. Since I didn't buy her as a motley, I'm guessing she probably isn't, but how would you tell in a case like this?

Kate,

One of my hypo bloods is also exhibiting the type of pattern you're talking about, but I think it comes from the boodred lines more than anyhting else, because I have seen bloodred outcrosses even showing the same thing.

The only way that you could tell would be to breed your little gal to a motley to see if the clutch has a significant representation of motley babies. I say "significant representation" because even the outcrossed bloodreds will show some clear bellies at times.

Personally, I don't believe that there is any way that these babies are het for motley. The reason I say this is because I have seen Rich write about what a waste of time it would be for him to cross the two, because in the F2 you could never be able to say for certain whether a baby was a motley, a bloodred, or a bloodred motley and those couldn't easily be sold. So, I don't think Rich would knowingly introduce motley into the bloodreds, let alone the hypo bloods where each one was so sought after!

Just my two cents' worth -- ;)

Not all...

kenalotia said:
How can you tell if a blood red is also a motley? All corns have the first few blotches joined, but some have more than others.
Vic_overhead_0702.jpg

They don't always have connected saddles. Here's one of mine that doesn't. :p

But it seems like the most extreme non-motleys generally don't have more than 6 or 7 of them connected. 10 to 11 seems like a lot, but I also know nothing about its parents, so who knows.

It is a good question, and I think the only way to really tell is to breed it to a Motley that has no bloodred heritage and see what you get. Although I'd think you bought her with something else in mind, and who wants to spend one year's breeding just for that? ;)

Back