PDA

View Full Version : feeding problems

feeding problems

1_and_only
12-03-2005, 09:43 AM
my corn is 10 months old and is on fuzzies, ive got to wait until it gets a bit bigger to feed it bigger mice. ive recently bought 10 fuzzies but there not as big as the other fuzzies i had (there a bit bigger than pinkies). should i feed it 2 at a time or feed it 2 a week but on seperate days? before it was on one big fuzzie a week. :cheers:

Lennycorn
12-03-2005, 12:11 PM
If you are thinking of moving up to hoppers, you could look a a few at a pet store where you buy them. Tell them of you your concerns. Check out the size and knowing the girth of you snake and keeping in mind of 1 1/2 rule. should do the trick. If the snake is big enough and you can feed two fuzzy at one feeding. When I move up a size I double up on the feeding for a few weeks then switch to a larger size. I think it gives them some time to adjust to the larger size. And if the snake not get enough to move up just use up what you have until you buy the right size fuzzy.

Good luck :cheers:

zwyatt
12-03-2005, 01:43 PM
You can always feed one smaller fuzzy the first time and see how noticable the lump is afterwards. If it still leaves a good lump you're probably okay with just one. If it isn't very big you should be okay to offer two small fuzzies at the next feeding.

MegF.
12-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Feed both at the same feeding though, not over two seperate days.

1_and_only
12-04-2005, 07:46 AM
thankyou lennycorn, zwyatt and megf. Now onto a totally different subject im upgrading my viv today (its not actually a viv its a fish tank) from a 2ft (24") tank to a 4ft (48"). now ive heard that bigger is not better in this case. but i will have 2 hides and branches for it to climb over. so does anyone think that would be ok? :shrugs:

Lennycorn
12-04-2005, 08:41 AM
thankyou lennycorn, zwyatt and megf. Now onto a totally different subject im upgrading my viv today (its not actually a viv its a fish tank) from a 2ft (24") tank to a 4ft (48"). now ive heard that bigger is not better in this case. but i will have 2 hides and branches for it to climb over. so does anyone think that would be ok? :shrugs:

Difference subject Difference forum
You'll get more responses that way.

Thats a big tank.
Well try more that two hides, like six , but they can be use paper towels rolls
or anything like that. If you have a hatchling you have to try to make him feel secure in his new Viv. I read that someone here use a plastic dog water bowel that had gaps on the bottom of it, so it turn into a water bowel and a hide.

Good luck to you
Keep in touch :santa:

BeckyG
12-04-2005, 08:55 AM

The snake will be ok in a tank that size. Two of my three hatchlings went directly into their 40 gallon permanent homes, and didn't have any problems. Like Lennycorn said, though, put at least 6 hides in there, maybe even more.

MegF.
12-04-2005, 08:59 AM
I bought a lot of those silk plants and my corns love those. They hide in them and under them all the time. You'll really need to fill up that space so they feel secure.

Lennycorn
12-04-2005, 09:11 AM
I bought a lot of those silk plants and my corns love those. They hide in them and under them all the time. You'll really need to fill up that space so they feel secure.

And some nice looking curtains, pictures of bright flowers, some nick nacks.
Oh yeah, central Vac, for a home that big. hehe :sidestep:

1_and_only
12-04-2005, 03:21 PM
well its now in the new tank. ive added a load of new hides and she seems happy out exploring her new house. At the moment there isnt any lighting in the tank. but the room where she is is bright enough during the day. but without the light the temperature struggles to stay high (85f). so does any one know of any good tips to get the temp up? i already have 2 uth. i live in england, we see sun here as often as we see pigs flying.its always cold.

Lennycorn
12-04-2005, 03:29 PM
85 f. is good. Only if they have a health problem do you raise it a little.
Do you have a rheostat if not do a search. There a great thread on it. to build your own. That will help control the temps . And you have a thermometer with a probe right. That will help too.

MegF.
12-04-2005, 07:36 PM
Actually, 82 would be perfect, so 85 is more than enough.