PDA

View Full Version : My baby corn seems dehydrated

My baby corn seems dehydrated

dcone
12-04-2005, 04:20 PM
I just got a baby corn from petco before Thanksgiving, I fed it on Thanksgiving because thats when the guy said he would need to eat next, the snake ate but the next moring I found he had regurged, I was out of town when I bought him so I brought him home and got his temp adjusted, he hasn't had much appetite, he is wrinkling up and I am afraid he is dehydrated. also i noticed a dark colored splotch in his lower belly, he is a candy cane corn so he is see through. any help would be appreciated

Lennycorn
12-04-2005, 04:36 PM
The dark blotch should be poop?????? Not sure! Give him fresh water daily for now. Getting him from Petco means he might not be healthy.
Wait ten days before attempting another feeding but feed something smaller.so it the snake is a hatchling and to tyred to feed a f/t pinky just feed a pinky head. Don't handle the snake for at least two days after you feed him. That rule is for all feeding too. Also read up on this topic in the FAQ development section.You'll see something about regurges.
When you got the snake did you use the hands off rule for four days until the snake got settle in. Because he might be stress out and that why he regurgitated. How's you set up. what do you have UTH , substrate etc etc.

Keep in touch :santa:

dcone
12-04-2005, 05:07 PM
He has a uth, aspen in the bottom, the first couple of days we had him out and he was real snappy, so stress could be, now I am most concerned that he is wrinkled up. I am new to corns and am getting addicted. I have one that was the first one I ever had, he is my classroom pet at school, but he was older when I got him, about 2 feet long, he is very tame eats well, so this is new to me. Should I force fluids on the baby, he is getting wrinkled? thanks for you help

Lennycorn
12-04-2005, 05:27 PM
No they will drink on their on, You could try to "lead him to water, if he new to the Viv. Sometime when I'm changing the water I try to see if my snake want a drink while I'm holding him, for fun but don't force him.You have a hatchling right! So try two water bowels on the outer edge of Viv. He'll find one while cruising night. Also read up on the basic care in the FAQdevelopment forum here.

Good luck and keep us inform :santa:

dcone
12-04-2005, 05:43 PM
I have read the faq pages, so should I just leave him alone, he seems weak but can climb over everything in his viv, right behind his head it seems as though the skin is dry, as if he might shed, and that is where the wrinkles start, tomorrow or tuesday will be the 10 day point from the regurge, so I should just try to feed him a pinky head?

Lennycorn
12-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Is this your first shed with him that could be the answer to the " loose" skin. Did his color fad or change (lighten up). Feeding during the shed cycle could of cause the regurge but I feed both of my snakes through the shed process and they have no problems. I would bump up your temps a little give it fresh water wait until ten days after the regurge and feed a defrosted (warm) pinky head and see if he keep that down. Regurges aren't anything to play around with. So reread the FAQ development forum on regurges and follow there steps.

Good luck and let us know how it going :santa:

dcone
12-04-2005, 06:05 PM
thanks, for all the help, this would be the first shed since I have had him, his color does not seem that much different to me, he is I guess what you call candy cane, so I can't tell from his eyes or anything, I would hope on the loose skin it was a shed but it is wrinkles all the way down, I'll keep you posted

PtDnsr
12-04-2005, 10:25 PM
If you're worried about your new snake getting water put his dish along the edge of the tank as this is where they usually seem to travel. Since he regurged the dark spot is most likely an organ (forget which one). Just keep a close eye on your little guy and leave him alone for a while (as hard as it may seem).

~Katie

firesnake13
12-05-2005, 02:07 AM
check out the regurges thread in faqs. I can't remember where but Ms. Love wrote it and it's step by step how to handle it just search it. If you think he's shedding, give him a box or hide on the warm side with damp (not too wet) moss or shredded paper towels. Definately put shallow dishes in the edges of his cage and leave him alone untill he gets better. Remember, he thinks you are going to eat him! How would you feel? If in doubt, hit the phonebook and find a herp vet. Most will do payment plans and the petshop should give some kind of guarantee that may give a vet discount. If you have a friendly zoo, thier herp people may talk you through it over the phone as well.
hope he gets better, good luck!

dcone
12-05-2005, 10:55 AM
He seems to be doing better today, this afternoon will be the 10 day point from the regurge so I'm going to try to feed a pinky head today, I live in such a small area there is no zoo or for that matter a herp vet within 120 miles. so I am kinda on my own in following the advice I have found on this site, thanks and I will keep posted.