• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

5 weeks of refusals ~,~

Gintha

*stretches* I'm out!
Okie, so I decided to try skipping a meal with Treasure, as he was in deep blue. He ended up being in blue for 3 weeks, and has refused the 2 offers since (one was a bit early... as I won't be here on the normal day) Not sure what to do... hes never rejected a meal before. Hes not interested at all... smells it, and ignores it. :cry: I was going to get him an anole.. but they are $79.99 each here ~,~ Any ideas?

Have you tried a live mouse? I would try a live/stunned mouse before spending $80 on an anole. Were his temps lowered (intentionally or not) for any length of time prior to this fast? I've read that photoperiod can affect appetite too, although I haven't seen much of that in my own experience. I do have a female corn who has never refused a meal before this week (she refused two fuzzies, offered on consecutive days). She's due to go into blue soon, but I don't think she's there yet.

I will be trying a live mouse Saturday, if I can get one. I've been trying to keep the photoperiod around the same, but its hard, ordered some light fixtures to put above the tanks with UV bulbs in them. As for the temp, it changes quiet a bit day to day, 200 year old houses are hard to keep adjusted ~,~ I was wondering if the temps and photoperiod change might be causing him to go into brumation.

How long can a 1 year old corn go without food? (he's around 300g, little over that as far as we can tell.. he won't sit in his scale hehe) Worried he will starve to death ~,~

Gintha said:
I will be trying a live mouse Saturday, if I can get one. I've been trying to keep the photoperiod around the same, but its hard, ordered some light fixtures to put above the tanks with UV bulbs in them. As for the temp, it changes quiet a bit day to day, 200 year old houses are hard to keep adjusted ~,~ I was wondering if the temps and photoperiod change might be causing him to go into brumation.

How long can a 1 year old corn go without food? (he's around 300g, little over that as far as we can tell.. he won't sit in his scale hehe) Worried he will starve to death ~,~

Your 1 year old snake is around 300g? I hope he's 1 year and eleven months then. If he really is 300g, then he could go months without food with no associated health risks. If he doesn't take a live mouse, you could always intentionally brumate him for a couple of months, then see if his appetite improves upon coming out of bru.

Sometimes they just know it is winter, no matter how you try to keep the photoperiod the same. It is very normal for some snakes to completely go off feed for a month or two or three during the winter. I agree, if your snake is 300 grams, he/she will be just fine. I'd try turning off the heat source and leaving it alone for a month then turn the heat back on and attempt a smaller feeding one week after he's been back on heat.

Okie, I'll try that =) Just really worried about him.. hes my baby hehe. He was 1 year as of November, if the store was right about when he was born, I think they were, he was supposed to be 3 months when I got him and was 11 inches. Hes my gentle giant =) Just hope hes okie.. darn brat making his mom worry! LOL I'll keep you updated =)

Soooo... I tried a live hopper (no adults on my island at all) and wouldn't you know it... Treasure is scared of mice. After 5 minutes I had to take it out... now hes really freaked out, he never even looked the slightest bit interested in eating Snowflake (ahem.. my new pet mouse) So tonight I unplug his heat mat, darken his viv and wait. How long should I brumate him? And should I move him to a colder room? (The dining room is unheated, but gets some heat from the house.. its around 5* C all the time.. would moving him in there for a full brumation work best? Any advice is great.. just worried about my boy!

I'd just pull the plug on the heat and leave him as is for a month or so. If you want to try and darken the viv it wouldn't hurt, but you don't need too. He'll be fine, I still have some fussy babies that are 4 months old and have never eaten a bite in their life.

Well, my emoryi female of 5 years old and 550 grams refused meals and didn't eat for 17 days until today. I offered a fuzzie in her viv I had left of my amel's diner (she is a little pickier on food these days too) and she ate it after thoroughly smelling it. I offered another one 5 mins later, and she rattled and attacked it 'cause her roommate came close... (oops..... little feeding basic rule mistake). I gave another one to the roomie and too her, so she ate 3 fuzzies in total. It seems like sometimes a smaller meal is more attractive... I plan on brumating the emoryi for the same period as my Miami so they can breed together next year, that's why I wanted them to eat their last pre-brum dinner at least in the same week. Otherwise I would have brumated her after her second refusal, as advised to you.

I dropped in a fuzzy last night... he smelled it twice and ignored it.. so I gave it to Hunter LOL. They've reversed roles, now Hunter eats everything and Treasure is refusing... *bangs head on wall* least I got a cute little pet mouse out of it.

Back