PDA

View Full Version : Switching live to frozen

Switching live to frozen

dcone
12-05-2005, 10:54 PM
After todays loss, I am going to be more informed as I get my new hatchling. Is it usually not a problem to get a hatchling that has been fed live pinkies, to switch to frozen. I have found hatchlings I am interested in off of the forums page but the breeder says they have been fed live, live is not an option to me because of my location and no place to get live

ultimuttone
12-05-2005, 11:03 PM
I have gotten several hatchlings from people here on the forum who were feeding live and have not had any problems switching them over. That however is not a guarantee, as I have a couple who were apparently eating f/t before they came to me that decided they would only eat live for me:shrugs:
They are the exception though

Lennycorn
12-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Just tell the breeder of your curcumstance of not able to purchase live. Maybe they can switch over the hatchling for you.
Some breeder raise there own mice (feeder) for cost reason, that and feeding a live pinky is less time and money (CoX) to f/t them.

MegF.
12-06-2005, 01:00 AM
I've never had a problem switching to frozen either. Even the rescued Burmese that I got that had only fed on live mice and rats ate f/t the first time it was offered. The trick is to make sure the mice are very warm. Live prey has a body temp of 100-101 degrees F. Heating well in the water (or plastic bag in the water) makes a huge difference in my snake's feeding responses.

2i2_D3gr33s
12-06-2005, 06:45 PM
I like Lenny's suggestion, to ask the breeder to switch over before you buy. Chances are, they are due for a feeding in the next 5 or 6 days anyway, and they could give it a shot before you purchase it, knowing for sure it at least took one f/t.