PDA

View Full Version : Bowel movements after eating

Bowel movements after eating

livedeht
12-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Hi,

I just recently fed my alino corn snake 3 baby mice about 2 days ago. Today it had a bowel movement that kind of has me concerned. It was fairly big and has small brown chunks in it. Below are some pics.

http://www.webrocket.ca/~verbalex/images/ang_1.jpg
http://www.webrocket.ca/~verbalex/images/ang_2.jpg
http://www.webrocket.ca/~verbalex/images/size_ref.jpg

The brown chunks appear to me to be the internal organs of the mice. This doesn't seem all that bad to me, but seeing how this is the first snake I have owned, and I have only had it for about 4 days I figured I should check it out. Thanks in advance.

DinoNeill
12-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Hmmm how old is this corn?...I would say you either over fed it or there was something wrong with some of (if not all) the mice.

Roy Munson
12-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Lovely pics. :grin01:

I don't see a reason for concern. I've seen many BMs that looked just like that.

Lennycorn
12-06-2005, 06:08 PM
The poop looks normal to me. But what size is a baby mouse? A pinky, fuzzy, or hopper?? I'm asking because you stated you're feeding three baby mice and normally you feed only one food item. Then two of the same size when you are ready to move up to a larger size, feeding three food item is not normal?? Can you explain?

BeckyG
12-06-2005, 06:21 PM
It looks normal to me, too, other than being a bit big. I have to second Lennycorn, though. Usually only one or two food items are fed. Since you fed three, that could be why it is bigger than normal.

livedeht
12-06-2005, 08:24 PM
I fed it 3 fuzzies, and he is aprox. 1 year old. This is what the pet store said to feed it, I know pet stores arn't always the best for information but I was having troubles finding more on feeding him. Is this to many or should it be just fine?

Lennycorn
12-06-2005, 08:43 PM
You feed your snake a one food item that is no greater than 1 1/2 of snakes widest point. When the snakes grows you can start feeding two items to prepair the snake for a larger food items. For about two to three feeding. Then move to one larger food item.

Hope this helps :santa: :santa:

BeckyG
12-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Ahhh, another "the pet store said..." Your corn is definitely ready to move up to hoppers or maybe even weanlings/small adults.

livedeht
12-06-2005, 11:57 PM
If I move it up to hoppers, how many would you suggest I feed him, one or two?

Drizzt80
12-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Are you feeding that corn of yours pomegranites? I couldn't help it, that was a great picture that reminded me of the seeds . . . :)

Seriously though, I would agree and recommend 1 or two food items. If you fed 3 fuzzies, I'd think you'd have no problem feeding one hopper as a meal. The other variable to consider is how often are you feeding or planning to feed? 1 hopper a week should give some pretty good growth depending on the snake. (I have one that is proving to be a slow grower.)

You can also judge the size of the prey after it's eaten. There should be a somewhat noticeable lump after it eats. You don't want the snake to look too distended (in my opinion), but you also want to be able to tell it has eaten. I usually guage moving up to the next size prey by the noticeable-ness of the lump after it eats.

D80

Lennycorn
12-07-2005, 06:49 AM
If I move it up to hoppers, how many would you suggest I feed him, one or two?

I've already suggested ONE food item per feeding.