PDA

View Full Version : Still pretty New

Still pretty New

nova1
12-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Hi there and Happy Holidays. :santa:

I got into corn snakes late this summer, and already have 7. I live in a smallish town that doesn't really cater to reptiles, so the internet has been my source for information. I'm 27 years old and do Croissant Quality Control for General Mills. People at work are aghast when they find out I have snakes!

Well, being as I'm new to this, I need some help. I was sold a normal hatchling who is now 26" long and doesn't look like any of the other normals I've seen. She's got no white and no red, she's yellow and redish brown with little black. I was told the "mom was het amale and the father was amaly"(copied from the sale add, spelling included). So far, no one has been able to help me.

I've attached some pictures of her. Is she a normal normal? Hello and thanks for helping in the past with info and hopefully help now.
Heather

SnakeAround
12-10-2005, 08:51 AM
I think you're rigth she does look a little weird.... I pay caution to be not considered a 'hybrid paranoid', but because she is from a pet shop that doesn't even know how to spell out amel(anistic) I wouldn't be surprised if this snakie is a little 'junglish' aka has a king snake in her parental lines somewhere... especially 'cause the saddles are a little weird too. she looks a lot like the one on this pic, advertised as a jungle.

SnakeAround
12-10-2005, 09:02 AM
By the way, if it's het amel, there's a possibility to breed awesome amelanistic jungles!

zwyatt
12-10-2005, 12:17 PM
The saddles do look kind of jungle-ish, almost sort of banded. They look a lot like the saddles to the right side of this pic if you disregard the zig-zagging. http://redtailboa.net/pp/data/3420/medium/Butter_and_babies_018.jpg

If they (the pet store) were trying to say the mom was het amel and the dad was an amel, then that doesn't tell you much other than your little one must be het for amelanism, because judging by your pics she definitely isn't an amel. There are several albino jungles posted in the photo gallery if you search for "jungle".

She's an interesting looking one regardless. Good luck with her. :cheers:

nova1
12-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the replies.

You know, I hadn't even thought hybrid. Shows how new I am :crazy02: I was only thinking different morphs. So I'll watch as she gets older and someday when I breed her in the future I'll keep the jungle in mind. If she was bred to a corn snake, would it be fair to call the babies corns as well, or would they be considered hybrids?

Thank you again for your answers. I've always been shy about posting but your help has been so positive. Thanks again,
Heather

ultimuttone
12-10-2005, 06:11 PM
If there is a possibility she is a hybrid then any offspring should be sold as either hybrids, or possible hybrids.
I am not a hybrid hater, I actually like many of the crosses and own one myself. But it is very important to be honest when selling them so that people know what they are getting and don't inadvertently add a hybrid to an otherwise "pure" line.
Welcome and have fun by the way :)