PDA

View Full Version : New to Corn Snakes

New to Corn Snakes

Tari2071
12-11-2005, 10:24 PM
I have owned many reptiles, and several snakes (all pythons) and I am currently thinking about adopting a hatchling corn snake (mostly because I think she is beautiful very dark background with bright orange/red spots). I don't know much about rat snakes in general or corn snakes specifically and so I had a few questions before getting this little one.
I know they are native to SouthEast US, but what are their special heating, lighting, and humidity requirements?
Would a 20L be too large for a hatchling (she's only about 8" right now)?
Are they finicky eaters, and if so what can be done to help them along?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2i2_D3gr33s
12-12-2005, 04:00 PM
As far as the heating/lighting/humidity, you'll get several responses, depending on who you talk to. There are tons of questions just like yours in the various other forum sections that can give you detailed answers....and you don't even have to wait. They're already there! As far as the 20L tank, it should be fine. I've started two hatchlings directly into 29 Gallon tanks, and both have had no problem. The only problem I had, was one of my corns used to burrow quite a bit, and sometimes it took some work finding him. About a month after being in the tank he seldom burrows anymore, and the hatchling that I just got loves being out in the open.

2i2_D3gr33s
12-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Oh yeah, and most are not finicky eaters. Frozen/Thawed mice for their whole lives. Of course there are exceptions, but for the most part, you'll have no problems.

JAG 32
12-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Alright, well cornsnakes are wonderful pets. It sounds like the cornsnake you are getting/have is a normal phase, she will change color as she becomes and adult. Preferably a UTH (under tank heater, or substrate heater) is used for heat, and than heat lamps are not necessary. Humidity should be increased when the snake goes into blue. Light is usually just room light, i use UV lights, not because i think they are beneficial but because I like the way the light looks on my terrariums. A 20L is suitable for an adult but may be a little big for a hatchling. It can be achieved is you make sure there are plenty of hides so the snake doesn't become stressed. Usually they aren't finicky, but they can be. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Good Luck! - John