PDA

View Full Version : New Home....

New Home....

2i2_D3gr33s
12-13-2005, 06:21 AM
I just purchased a new diffused on Saturday, and the last time he was fed was the weekend before. Last night was feeding night, and he flat out refused his pinkie. It was the correct size, and plenty warm. His tank has all the right conditions. Has anyone else had this problem? I think he just might not be used to his new surroundings, but he seems fairly active, and doesn't act nervous at all..... Anyone know any tricks to get him to eat? I plan on trying again on Saturday, but any pointers would be helpful.

gardenmum
12-13-2005, 11:20 AM
First a couple questions. Where did you try to feed your snake, in its viv or in a small deli cup? And what are the temps in your viv and where are the hides located?

There can be many reasons why a snake won't eat their meal. Sometimes they are just plain hard feeders and there is no seemingly cause except they just don't eat well. But, there are also many things that can cause a poor feeding response as well as many things to encourage a good feeding response.

First off, a hatchling eats best if placed in a small deli cup with their food item. Obviously, since you said the pink was proper size and warm, that would not be a problem. But make sure you feed in a small container so the snake has easy access to the food. Place the deli in a quiet, warm and dark place to encourage relaxation and desire to feed. Sometimes the snake will eat right away and sometimes it can take leaving the snake overnight with the prey item.

It is also best to feed at night as that is their natural time in the wild when they are active and eat. When the snakes are eating good and/or older, I find it makes no difference what time of day I feed, but when young and first eating, I find it works best to feed in the evening hours.

If you want to feed in the viv, place the prey item just at the edge of the opening to their hide (warm side) in the evening and leave overnight. This puts the food in easy access and the snake can grab it and pull it into the safety of its hide.

There are many other methods to try when you get one that becomes stubborn on eating. Instead of listing them all here, do a search using the search bottom above and query 'stubborn eater', 'snake doesn't eat', or similar types of queries and you will find lots of ways to try to encourage your little one to eat.

One thing you must make sure of is that you have proper temps and hides so your snake is not stressed. If the snake has the wrong temps, either too high or too low, or feels stressed, it will refuse to eat. So, make sure you have the probe type thermometer so you know what the temps are IN the substrate under the hide that you expect your snake to be staying in.

Also, it is good to let the person whom you purchased the snake from that you are having feeding problems so they can give you advice of how they were feeding this particular snake, and so they know in case you have further problems.

Best of luck.

2i2_D3gr33s
12-13-2005, 05:19 PM
I tried feeding in a ten gallon aquarium, one that I use to feed my other corn (which never had any problems...). After about 15 minutes of him not paying any attention to it, I cut a couple slits in the pinkies back, and let it warm up in a glass of water again. Still paid no attention. It almost seemed like he avoided it and curled up, but he's usually pretty active. As soon as I put him back in his own viv, he was back to normal. His viv is currently 84 on the warm side, and about 72 on the cool side. I never thought of using a smaller feeding place, so that may help. Also, I didn't know how long to leave him in there with the food. I left it there a little over a half hour, and thought maybe the food would go bad if left for longer. Maybe if I'd of given more time he would have eaten.... Now I feel bad. Anyway, You still reccomend waiting until the next feeding to try again? How long can a 2 month old go without food? I would hate to try on Saturday, and fail, and then have to wait another week to try something different.

Preita
12-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Put him with his pinky in a deli cup or glad-ware sandwich container. A 10 gallon is really big. My young'in will cruise around the edge of the deli before heading toward the pinky. He's probably just not comfortable in such a big setting. :D

Billybobob
12-13-2005, 06:24 PM
I just purchased a new diffused on Saturday, and the last time he was fed was the weekend before.

I don't know how every one else dose it but any newly purchased snakes that come to my place get a 1-2 week settling period. During this time I do not even try to feed them, just offer them water. I do this during the normal quarantine period then start to feed 1-2 weeks after i first get them home(depending on the last time it fed before i got it) and they remain in quarantine until i am sure there is no parasites or illness.

BeckyG
12-13-2005, 10:51 PM
Also, if you feed him in the same tank as you feed your other corn, he may be smelling the other corn and getting stressed by that.

2i2_D3gr33s
12-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Just a quick update..... the deli cup worked!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/pain4sale/DSC02525.jpg

ultimuttone
12-14-2005, 10:50 PM
Congrats! :)

Preita
12-15-2005, 11:30 AM
Congrats! My little boy know's exactly what his deli's for. He starts eating even before he's fully out of my hand. :D