PDA

View Full Version : mites

mites

Jr Nimeskern
04-13-2002, 01:30 PM
okay I was holding my creamsicle snake names "tangerine" and the next thing I see is these little things moving on her... I held her for like 15 min. and saw 3... I cleaned her off with some water... and i didnt see anything else with her... Then I went to my male bubblegum corn and I didnt find any on him... then I went to my burmese python... and none on him... so what should i do to ensure my other snakes dont gain mites... and how should i get rid of them on "tangerine":confused:

Any help would be helpful... thankyou

jim
04-13-2002, 04:44 PM
i am speaking from inexperience herebut from what i've heard provent-a-mite is one of the best and least dangerous methods of treatment for the snake. if you can't find it near you try big apple herp or lll reptile online. good luck, jim

Simon
04-13-2002, 05:58 PM
Well I have no experience with this either.

But then I have heard that soaking them in luke warm water for at least 15 min and a lot of the mites will be floating in the water. Do this for at least a week doing it once a day.
To clean the cages, I would recommend using bleach. Bleach kills the mites and other parasites that are in the tank. Soak the whole tank, water bowl, hide, and whatever is in your tank in bleah for at least 30 min. That should kill all of the mites and whatever in the tank. (Make sure that you rinse everything well before putting your snake back in.)

Also you can use the provent-a-mite as jim said.

Make sure that you clean everything in the tank and through away the bedding and put in new ones.

I would do that for your other snakes too, since they might have mites too. Just incase. It's better to be save than sorry.

Good luck and Happy Herping!

Kevin M
04-14-2002, 01:06 AM
While its been quite some time since I've had any mite problems I can vouch for provent-a-mite. This stuff works wonders.

The Provent-A-Mite is safe enough that you can use it as you see fit. Just be sure that whatever you do, You let the enclosure air out for at least 15minutes prior to putting your corn back in. And be sure NOT to have the water bowl present when you spray it down.

I myself, I when I had mite problems I removed the water bowl, sprayed down the enclosure as it was, substrate, hide bowl etc etc., Let it air out 30minutes or so. Then put my corn back in with a new clean water bowl. And voila, No more mites.

-Kev

Jr Nimeskern
04-14-2002, 03:12 PM
Nice thanks all... I'll make sure I take care of this little ordeal... quickly...
Corny...

nicky
04-14-2002, 04:11 PM
well it seems as though kevin and everyone else ha solved this problem so I guess I can do is say stick with what they said and good luck