PDA

View Full Version : New snake owner with dead snake

New snake owner with dead snake

santa_snake
01-02-2006, 08:50 PM
I am a first time snake owner and just got a baby corn snake and it died 8 days later. Its habitat was setup correctly just as the books and told me to set it up. It did regurge its first pinkie and I was waiting to feed him again after he had fast (like your website says). Does anyone have any ideas why he might have died? Maybe he was sick from the pet store? I handled him everyday and he seemed to like it, was that too much? Any ideas would be great. I am going back to the pet store tomorrow and want to buy another one but not sure if they just have poorly reared snakes?! :cry:

losmetros
01-02-2006, 08:59 PM
sorry for your lose. Sometimes things just don't work out. I have never acually had a corn die on me, but i am sure others have. My best guesse is that it was sick when you bought it.

ghosthousecorns
01-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, but please don't go get another snake at the same store...if the first one they sold you was sick so could all the other ones they sell. It would be better if you find a good breeder and buy from them. If you say where you are from there may be someone close to you that frequents this site.
The snake was most likely already sick to die so quickly but the next one it might be better not to handle so much at first until it gets settled in to its new home.

SeethersWind
01-02-2006, 09:24 PM
You may want to wait until some other people give some opinions on what could have been the problem before you go get another snake. Especially from the same store, just because it could be the stores not selling good snakes, or maybe something in your set up went wrong? It could help if you told us what all you had in the cage? Temps included. Because some types of substrate can be deadly to snakes..? And stress on little ones can cause death... since the little guy had a regurge I’d say it was either something the store already knew about or maybe conditions in the tank weren’t best for digestion. . So, maybe just wait a few days before going out and getting another...
Lost of different explanations for a snakes death and it would be good to know what happened so this doesn’t happen again. .

welcome to cornsnakes by the way! This place is great for help and answers. But sometimes it takes a few days to get a good set of replys.

~Sarah

Lennycorn
01-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Please check out the FAQ section here and the basic care information.Scroll down to the jump forum area to check it out. Could of been anything, sick snake to much handling, (you should give three to six days of no handling to let it settle in the new home) or something else.

SeethersWind
01-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Sorry I forgot to write..

I noticed you say you held the snake everyday..? Its a good idea to leave the snake alone for a least 24 hours after feeding, 48 is better. . because handling after feeding can be very stressful for snakes, young ones especially. . and can cause regurges. .

marky-b
01-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Hey I'm real sorry about the demise of your little baby. That's how it goes sometimes. Some weren't meant to survive. There is a possibility that the seller has some sick animals, so if you buy another, go elsewhere. I have a suggestion, and in my opinion would get you started with snakes with much better odds.....get a yearling or a surplus established adult, and from a breeder with a good reputation. Good luck with your next cornsnake :)

ghosthousecorns
01-02-2006, 11:25 PM
You said in your post the set up was all correct according to the book and what you had been told. It did seem to me like you did at least some research before getting the snake. You didn't say what book but was it by Kathy Love? That's the best one... Constant handling can stress them out, but I find it kind of hard to believe a snake could die just from too much handling unless you are like Lenny from 'of mice and men' My gut feeling is still that you were sold a sick snake.
I agree with Marky B an older corn can be better for a beginner.
BTW that set-up needs to be thoroughly sterilized before you put anything else in there...Good luck

Lennycorn
01-02-2006, 11:36 PM
You said in your post the set up was all correct according to the book and what you had been told. It did seem to me like you did at least some research before getting the snake. You didn't say what book but was it by Kathy Love? That's the best one... Constant handling can stress them out, but I find it kind of hard to believe a snake could die just from too much handling unless you are like Lenny from 'of mice and men' My gut feeling is still that you were sold a sick snake.
I agree with Marky B an older corn can be better for a beginner.
BTW that set-up needs to be thoroughly sterilized before you put anything else in there...Good luck

You talkin' to me

ghosthousecorns
01-02-2006, 11:57 PM
You talkin' to me

Sorry LC -it's from the John Steinbeck book, one of the characters shares your name
Can I pet the rabbits now George? :crazy02:

Joejr14
01-03-2006, 01:36 AM
Sorry LC -it's from the John Steinbeck book, one of the characters shares your name
Can I pet the rabbits now George? :crazy02:

VERY good book.

moonshadow
01-03-2006, 02:37 AM
ditto, fantastic book... I agree with the others. You were probably sold a sick snake and if I were you I would try to get my money back from that store. At the very least, don't buy another one from them. If there isn't anyone else in your area you could buy a snake from, you could always order one from SerpentCo, or one of the other good breeders on this board. Anyhow, I'm very sorry for your loss.It really sucks to lose a pet.

marky-b
01-03-2006, 05:29 AM
Speaking of good books, check out Steinbeck's "Johnny Bear." Creepy :eek:

santa_snake
01-03-2006, 07:21 AM
The replies were really helpful - I will go back to the store and talk to them about it. They also sold me the habitat, with the substrate, hiding area, warming pad and heat from light. Anyway, I will look around before buying again and check out some of your suggestions..... :)

marky-b
01-03-2006, 04:06 PM
I'm just curious what kind of substrate they sold you (?)

santa_snake
01-04-2006, 08:37 AM
I used a substrate called ESU Reptile Lizard Litter - it was recommeneded by the Pet Store. It says it is good for snakes.

BeckyG
01-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Is that the stuff that is made from ground up walnut shells and looks like sand? If so, it is not good for snakes. I'd recommend aspen shavings.

rachel132002
01-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Sounds like you've had a poor start and as htey can't get substrate right before oyu get another what is the rest of your setup? You should have a small tank, 2 hides, a suitable substrate (kitch towel, newspaper, chippings, aspen) not sand or walnut stuff a heatmat or other heating device and a thermostat to control the temperatures so the snake doesn't get burnt or suffer from nuerological problems due to heat. It's best to leave the snake well alone for the first week and then offer a pink and don't handle 24-48hrs after feeding. I know it's hard but handling hatxhlings is best kept minimal as they stress easily and are very flighty a couple of times a week won't hurt but not daily. I'd find a breeder in your area or a shop that breeds personally not buys in if you can as breeders often produce better quality animals than bulk bred ones shops buy in and you'll have a new contact who'll be avaialble easier for advice and help and also you may have more morphs to choose from at lower prices don't know how it works there but here a normal corn sells for £35-50 in a shop myself and others sell them for £15 because we don't have all the other overheads to cover. Some shops are brilliant though and keep corns seperate and have accurate records shwoing birth, feeds, regurges, refusals, sloughs so you know what you're buying but a lot don't. I hope you find another snake and have better luck with it!

All the best, Rachel

cowboyman13
01-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Is that the stuff that is made from ground up walnut shells and looks like sand? If so, it is not good for snakes. I'd recommend aspen shavings.

Not made from walnut shells and says safe for cornsnakes on bag. I used to use it myself. But aspen is so much cheaper that i switched. All tough there is something similar made from walnut shells.

The description on the bag says
"Lizard Litter Plus is a premium bedding that contains White Fir (Abies concolor) and Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus). These ingredients are ultra-absorbent and have been specially sized for your animal's safety and comfort. Lizard Litter Plus is environmentally friendly and suitable for composting. Contains no pine or cedar. "

As well as notes about what animals it is suited for.

erin.r
01-09-2006, 01:34 PM
I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL I HAVE RECENTLY LOST MY SNAKE AFTER 1 WEEK OF LIVING WITH IT. IT WILL HURT FOR A FEW DAYS BUT YOU GENERALLY GET OVER IT. MY ADVICE IS TO GET A NEW ONE WHICH IS WHATI DID AND I LOVE HER AS MUCH AS MY OLD ONE.GET THE SAME COLOUR AS YOUR OLD ONE , CALL IT THE SAME. LET ME KNOW HOW YOU FEEL AFTER A COUPLE OF WEEKS OR EVEN DAYS.
FROM ERIN REEVES
10 YEARS OLD

erintr@tiscali.co.uk

princess
01-09-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the old snakes untimely departure. Others have mentioned it too but the one thing that really jumped out at me was that you've had it for just a short period of 8 days, had a regurge and handled it every day. As others have suggested, next time you get a corn, put it in its tank and leave it alone for 4 or 5 days with only a water change every 2nd day. Resist the urge to even look at it too much, just leave it alone. Then feed it a small meal and put it back in its home...then leave it alone again for at least 48 hours, 3 days would be better.

I'd suggest a schedule of feeding on day one, leaving it alone on days 2 and 3, handling on days 4 and 5 and then feeding on day 6(which is 1 again) This kind of 5 day schedule will give your snake time to digest and be handled between feedings without stressing it out and inducing a regurge. I have 24 snakes so I don't have the chance to handle them all as often as I would if I only owned 5 but I honestly think that they're happier and healthier on a reduced handling regime rather than an excessive handling regime.

Just my 2 cents, hope things go better with the next snake,

Adèle

santa_snake
01-10-2006, 10:00 AM
I pick up my new snake at the end of this week. Thanks for all you help and suggestions. I am hoping for a better outcome this time. :)

Kvlt
01-10-2006, 12:19 PM
are you getting it from the same place?

santa_snake
01-11-2006, 12:02 PM
I was not going to go back there but I went into complain and to see if any other snakes had died. They were very apologetic and really wanted to help me get another one and offered to replace it for free (which is not their usual policy). I am hoping that the next one works out for me...........I will keep you posted. :)

marty.warwick
01-11-2006, 12:08 PM
This is just my opinion, but I think that's kinda dodgy..
But y'know, its good that they were apologetic and helpful, and good luck with your new hatchling :)

Joejr14
01-11-2006, 01:57 PM
I hope that you have totally disinfected the entire cage, hides, changed the substrate, etc before getting your new snake.

marky-b
01-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Well if they offered to give you another one for free, that's telling you they're trying to make it right and want you to come back and tell other people about them. Most would blame it on the buyer of the animal. I hope your next one will do great.

The Nothing
01-12-2006, 10:18 AM
The description on the bag says
"Lizard Litter Plus is a premium bedding that contains White Fir (Abies concolor) and Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus). These ingredients are ultra-absorbent and have been specially sized for your animal's safety and comfort. Lizard Litter Plus is environmentally friendly and suitable for composting. Contains no pine or cedar. "

Whoa!
When did Eucalyptus become safe?
Eucalyptus is highly toxic, and as an aromatic can cause issues EXACTLY like cedar.

bad bad bad bad bad :flames:

Gintha
01-12-2006, 12:51 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I know people who use ground eucalyptus in their gardens to kill bugs and snails and deter birds and rabbits from eating their plants. Its also the main pesticidal ingedrient in "herbal" flea and tick shampoos. Personally I use eucalyptus in my handmade soaps as an antibacterial agent. I really don't think it would be a good idea to use as a substrate for a snake.

santa_snake
01-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Yes I did clean the cage thoroughly and was going to use the same brand of substrate but now I am concerned. It states on the package that it 'is ideal for all types of.....snakes". Should I try something else?

ghosthousecorns
01-13-2006, 06:29 PM
I think almost everone here uses aspen shavings.

hana
01-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Or you could grab some paper towels. They're cheap, easy to clean up, and that way you know for sure that the poo looks ok. :)

hana

ballpythons18
01-23-2006, 04:24 PM
that snake was sick when u got it, when snakes are sick they stay sick for weeks to months.

Preita
01-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Or you could grab some paper towels. They're cheap, easy to clean up, and that way you know for sure that the poo looks ok. :)

hana
Plus it's easier to check for mites if they have any :D

cowboyman13
01-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Whoa!
When did Eucalyptus become safe?
Eucalyptus is highly toxic, and as an aromatic can cause issues EXACTLY like cedar.

bad bad bad bad bad :flames:

I use aspen now and have for sometime. I can tell you that their is no aroma using the other bedding or i wouldn't have used it when i did. It all so clearly lists cornsnake on the bag as safe for use. I believe i heard the same thing about the Eucalyptus and that and the price savings help convince me to switch.

It is good advice your offering tough.

LUBU
01-25-2006, 12:23 PM
I use cypress mulch, it last a very long time.

Tyger9791
01-25-2006, 12:58 PM
for the first month or so, i would use paper towels so you can monitor your snake's health. it's easier to find a regurge and see if it's poo is ok. and you can find him quicker. if you use aspen, he'll burrow and you'll have to search for him if he's a tiny hatchling. you'll have that "oh crap he escaped" sensation! :eek1:
after he gets a bit bigger, i recommend aspen or if you can find it, coconut bark. i use coconut bark in all my reptile enclosures. it has a more natural look and has the same qualities as aspen. easy to clean, not messy, doesnt stink. and my snakes love to burrow in it.

i dont like sound of that the lizard litter stuff....eucalyptus IS toxic to most animals. and i've read somewhere that fir bark may even be toxic as well to reptiles.