PDA

View Full Version : I know this sounds stupid and I am not tryingto pull any legs but..........

I know this sounds stupid and I am not tryingto pull any legs but..........

abell82
09-16-2002, 01:00 AM
I have had alot of nonfeeders feed by placing them in this cup type, clear container with a vented top, that I have.I place a moist paper towel on the bottom and a dry one on the top,for cover.I will place the food item in the container with the nonfeeder and drive around running errands on a warm sunny day.I usually place the container between the door panel and the passengers seat,to keep it from rolling around.I have gotten five out of six non feeders to feed this way, at least once.They are pretty easy to find I think most pet stores sell them.This is a last ditch effort usually as I am sure it is probably quite stressfull.Incidently I have found that cars with louder exaust usually get a quicker response than quiter ones,(the snakes feed in louder cars quicker,than quite ones)possibly something to do with vibrations?Anyway I have had them feed anywhere from 15-30 minutes after I start driving,one taking an hour(not my usual car) I discovered this method as I was taking one in to have it force fed.It ate on the way in to the appointment!The only one this did not work on was a grey banded king snake and I think that was because it wanted lizards and not mice.This works for me atleast, anyone else ever tried this?

Neil
09-16-2002, 02:30 AM
Did you try it without the car first?

abell82
09-16-2002, 03:04 AM
As I said this is a last ditch effort!

SilverTongue
09-16-2002, 03:45 AM
cool, are you using Live or F/T prey?

abell82
09-17-2002, 01:21 AM
Mostly live day old mouse pinkys

little twiglet
09-17-2002, 03:32 AM
sounds interesting wouldnt do it my self but cool method

Jimmy C.
09-17-2002, 03:25 PM
Well this is a first. I have heard of people driving their babies around to get them to sleep but never this. Good for you. Thanks for sharing.
Jimmy C

CornCrazy
09-17-2002, 07:33 PM
I may have to break down and try this method. I have been force feeding some of mine. I don't think driving them around could be any more stressful than that! Anyway, I was wondering...do your non-feeders have to have this process repeated several times before they become "feeders?" Or do they eat on their own the next time...without the drive?

abell82
09-17-2002, 10:43 PM
Usually it takes only once.Oddlly enough the only one that has ever given me problems was a normal.That one was not a very healthy snake to begin with(extremely small hatchling).It took an hour to get a feeding responce and another hour to swallow a very small pinky.It is still small and only eats live food.

Hurley
09-17-2002, 11:18 PM
Kathy Love has mentioned this before. She has had some success with non-feeders feeding after a car ride. Hey, it's worth a shot. Nothing is worse than watching babies starve themselves.

:)

Glad you got yours started, good luck with them.

pipatic
09-18-2002, 01:50 AM
hey iam glad its worked, might even have ago myself ,as i got 2 non feeders myself,
just thinking drivning around the streets,and get stopped by the police and tell them," just drivng my snakes around to get them to feed"
,to see the look on there faces would be very good, :D :cool:

CornCrazy
09-18-2002, 05:26 AM
None of them have worked...not braining, the paper bag, or anything! I even tried feeding them mouse tails because I was told they wouldn't feel as "threatened" by them. It didn't work either.

I believe I am going to try this method today. I started back to school this fall (to become a licensed vet tech), and it is an hour drive to the campus. I figure, I'll just take a couple of my little ones with me. That'll give them a nice long ride! I guess I'll have to try with F/T today. But if that doesn't work, then I'll try to find some live newborn pinkies.

Pipatic...that would definitely be worth seeing...
Well, not if one got a ticket, but otherwise it would be hilarious! Maybe I need to make certain I have my permits with me just in case!

I'll let you all know how it goes!

CornCrazy
09-18-2002, 02:44 PM
I took two of my largest non-feeders with me to school today...neither of them ate the F/T pinkies. I will have to try to find some live pinkies and try it again. In the meantime, I have a question...do any of you know anything about a product called Stimulap? It is a reptile appetite stimulant containing: Vit B1, Vit B12, Water, and Flavoring. A person I work with said that she has used it when she worked for a pet store, and that it works. I was curious if any of you have any experience with it.

abell82
09-19-2002, 12:18 AM
Try the trip again with your heat on.And if you can try to get a fresh live pinky,they seem to work better. Roll down your window to stay cool,if you have to.One of the tricks for getting a hatchling to feed is raising the temp,and a car with a good heater can quickly accomplish this.

CornCrazy
09-19-2002, 05:29 AM
I will give it another try as soon as I can find some live pinkies. In the meantime, I am going to experiment with the Stimulap. I am giving it to two non-feeders to see if it works.

drizzt_19
03-23-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by CornCrazy
I will give it another try as soon as I can find some live pinkies. In the meantime, I am going to experiment with the Stimulap. I am giving it to two non-feeders to see if it works.

I was curious about the results of your stimulap experiment.. What did you find out,if anything...

Thanks

CornCrazy
03-23-2003, 09:16 PM
It didn't work. I did finally get these snakes to eat, though. One will only eat lizard scented and one will only eat lizards, though.

drizzt_19
03-23-2003, 09:47 PM
for the info.. It's good to know that you did finally get them to eat...I bet the lizards are expensive..lol..I love mice

CornCrazy
03-24-2003, 05:30 AM
The lizards are QUITE expensive. I had her switched over to lizard scented pinkies for a little while, then she quit eating them. I had to switch back to lizards. I'll give her lizards for a few more feedings and then try mice again.

limey
03-26-2003, 07:12 AM
whiel were ont he subject off non feeders try this its worked on i would say 95% of all the non feeders i have ever had - nothin radical either (saves on petrol lol). IF you are lucky enough to have some one breed rabbits (i am very lucky i do a few in fact)in your area try and get a few new born rabbits (mine come dead which is a relief the breeders gets far to many and selects for pattern at birth) and scent new born pinks or any animal you are ffeedinto your snakes- this method works EXTREMELY well on adults that wont feed be careful i have had some really nice corns who have never hissed at me go ballistic to try and get a new born rabbit /scented mouse off me.
It does work well with hatchlings too liek i said i rarely get non feeders with this method. Good luck corn crazy if you try this it sounds liek you tried everything else :-)

limey
04-01-2003, 06:38 AM
p.s tried the car method with a fussy feeder - did the trick nicelty thanks :-)