PDA

View Full Version : no parasites!!!

no parasites!!!

aintlikeitl00ks
09-17-2002, 10:49 PM
i took aunt jemima to the vet and the doc said she has no parasites and it very healthy and aunt jemima iza female!
therre are not many rodents down here so i dought shes ever even eaten any mice or anything the only small mammals hear are racoons (lots)but the r too big to eat so i went and bought her some mice on ice.....

bmm
09-17-2002, 11:14 PM
Mice live almost everywhere in the world. I am sure you have mice, but yes buying frozen from the pet store is the best idea.

If she doesn't have parasites she could have very well been someones pet that they released into the wild. Eating a frozen thawed mouse first try will also point to her being a released pet..as she knows what to eat already. But maybe not too. You never know., Should be interesting though. Post your results when you first try and fed her thawed mouse.

Anyways, good luck!
bmm

aintlikeitl00ks
09-17-2002, 11:46 PM
i bought the mice but havent given it to her yet
is there anything specific i should do to feed the snake.

Jr Nimeskern
09-18-2002, 01:07 AM
Make sure you fully thaw out the mouse completely before you feed it to her... Im happy to here that she has no parasites... I usually dangle the mouse infront of the corn snake... this will give her the sense that the mouse is moving... since she was a wild caught snake she might not be prone to eating straight mice... she probably has had a diet of birds, mice, lizards and so on... so she might be a little diffecult to start feeding on mice... I hope she isnt... but keep us informed on her progress towards becoming Humanized!

kenalotia
09-18-2002, 10:14 AM
To thaw the mouse, put one in a plastic zip-loc baggy, and put the baggy in warm/hot water. (Not too hot, as it can start to cook the mouse!) For an adult sized mouse, leave it in the water 1/2 an hour. If the water starts to feel cool, dump it out and put new warm/hot water in. Since she is probably used to eating live, try holding the mouse with tongs or something like that, and wiggle it around a bit to mimic the movement of a live mouse.

Good luck!

aintlikeitl00ks
09-18-2002, 05:02 PM
kk thank you, what if when i ateempt to feed her she doesn wanna eat to i leave the mouse in her tank or do i put it back in the freezer? taking it to the vet was less expensive than buying a new adult snake (some1 told me it'll be more expensiveto take her to the vet)

CornCrazy
09-18-2002, 05:58 PM
If she doesn't want it, then you'll just have to waste it. You wouldn't refreeze meat that you are going to eat, so you shouldn't refreeze meat they are going to eat, either.

Please remember everyone's advice...if you keep this snake for more than a couple of weeks, then you should NOT release her back into the wild. They don't do well after they have become acclimated to captivity.

Good luck, and enjoy your new snake!

aintlikeitl00ks
09-18-2002, 06:01 PM
whats wrong with refreezing mice? what happens? just wondering.

Mare
09-18-2002, 06:25 PM
I don't agree that you can NEVER refreeze a mouse. If the mouse has been defrosted and promptly given to the snake, the snake refuses it, and it is promptly re-frozen, why not re-freeze it? The rule of thumb is if it has been left out, defrosted for over a half hour (or more depending on the ambiant temperature), then it has had a chance to become home to bacteria and the like that can be harmful. Then, common sense tells you not to refreeze it and use it later.

Now, not to open a huge can of worms here, but I also keep hognose snakes which are known in the wild to eat carrion. I have actually gotten hatchlings to eat partially rotting pinkies (balloon pinkies - eewwwwwwwww) that wouldn't eat anything else. So, one has to believe that our snakes are capable of digesting things that we obviously wouldn't want to put into our own bellies...

In your case, with Aunt Jemimah, you are probably going to want to present the mouse to her warm (and dried off). As soon as the mouse is cool, you may want to warm it up a bit. If nothing else works, you may need to leave the mouse overnight, right outside of her hide box. In that case, you will not want to re-freeze the mouse for later use as it will probably be getting pretty ripe.

One other little tip that has worked with snakes that I have had in for re-hab and release--use brown mice. If you can get a few brown mice, kill them and freeze them, and use them to get her used to eating frozen thawed. I have had a large number of rehab wild snakes that would only eat brown/black mice while being treated.

Good luck!

CornCrazy
09-18-2002, 07:01 PM
I've know people with perfectly healthy snakes that have fed refrozen mice and their snakes died after eating them. I'm not talking about mice that were left out for several hours, either! So, if you want to risk it...then go right ahead! It's your choice. I personally would rather waste a mouse than take the chance of killing any of my snakes.

Alicia
09-18-2002, 07:19 PM
I think it's important to realize that most home freezers do not get cold enough to kill ALL bacteria and parasites. I don't think that many of us have commercial freezers in our homes:D Bacteria starts forming and multiplying as the food warms up. The longer it is left out the more bacteria involved. I think that when you make a decision to refreeze or not you should know that refreezing might kill your snake. It's a risk you may not wish to take:)

CornCrazy
09-18-2002, 07:24 PM
As I said before...it's not a risk worth taking, in my opinion.

dartguy
09-18-2002, 08:45 PM
??????????

CornCrazy
09-18-2002, 09:05 PM
I believe it is dead, rotting carcasses.

Iris
09-18-2002, 11:21 PM
ewwwww

I've refrozen a mouse or two but I fed them to different snake the next day.

CornCrazy, were you referring to Abell's story?

aintlikeitl00ks
09-19-2002, 12:05 AM
as wierd as it may sound i just happen to have a commercial freezer! i gave her a diff mouse and it wont eat it so imma leave it in a shoe box w/ the mouse over nite and see what happens....

CornCrazy
09-19-2002, 05:31 AM
No I was referring to a couple of people I know here...where I live.

Alicia
09-19-2002, 08:04 AM
Being a wild caught snake she might not take the f/t mice right away. Commercial freezer or not I would not refreeze it after all night. Yuk:eek:

aintlikeitl00ks
09-19-2002, 05:47 PM
okie dokie

aintlikeitl00ks
09-19-2002, 09:58 PM
IMA WAIT TILL IT SHEDS TO TRY AGAIN HIS EYES ARE GETTING CLOUDY, A HURRACANE IS ABOUT TO HIT AND EVERY1 IN THE KEYS WILL PROBABLY BE EVACUATED SHOULD I TAKE MY SNAKE IN LIKE A SHOE BOX? I AM WORRIED I MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO GIVE IT PROPER HEATING WERE I'M GOING. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

aintlikeitl00ks
09-19-2002, 10:04 PM
what are the number on the left before the name of the snake?
for ex:
1.2 Snow Cornsnakes...Marshmallow, Alaska, & Avalanche
1.2 Amel Cornsnakes...Sizzlin', Que, & Fantasy
0.1 Butter Cornsnake...Popcorn
0.1 Creamsicle...Tango
0.0.23 Amel Hatchlings
0.0.4 Normal Hatchlings
0.1 Desert-phase Cal King...Yokio
1.0 Amel Striped Cal King...Aspen
1.0 Pueblan Milksnake...Chexmex
0.1 Tangerine Honduran Milksnake...Wild Thang
0.2 Cats...Miss Kitty and Whisper
0.1 Dog...Sunshine

CornCrazy
09-19-2002, 10:09 PM
For example:
1.2 Snow Cornsnakes...Marshmallow, Alaska, & Avalanche
...means I have one male and two female snow cornsnakes.

If it read 1.2.5, then it would mean 1 male, 2 female, and 5 unsexed...like my amel hatchlings, I have 23 unsexed hatchlings. I only listed them separately from my other amels because they are unnamed. Typically they would all be together. I technically have 1.2.23 amel cornsnakes.

I hope I made this clear!

bmm
09-19-2002, 10:10 PM
Worry about it. If you have to leave put your snake in a showbox. And keep it with you wherever you go. It will be perfectly fine for a bit in normal room temp if it has too. Not having a heat spot of exactly 83 or whatever every single second is not a big deal. I have been forced during construction of my rack to let my corns go without supplemental heat for three weeks. Mind you the temp was 80-84 almost every single day but in any case they were prefectly fine.

bmm

Alicia
09-19-2002, 10:14 PM
A Rubbermaid or similar type container would be best because they have lids that snap on. If a shoe box is all you have then it will have to do. Check it over and make sure she can't get out. They can escape from the smallest openings:)

1.2 Snow = 1 male and 2 females
0.0.4 Normals = 4 unsexed

kenalotia
09-19-2002, 10:17 PM
If you are going to have it in a shoebox or rubbermaid container for awhile, just make sure that the box has air holes in it! Very important... you don't want to save your snake from a hurricane, only to have it die from suffocation. :(

aintlikeitl00ks
09-19-2002, 11:07 PM
thanx alot

little twiglet
09-20-2002, 03:37 AM
i no this is a little off the subjet now but but NEVER EVER put a mouse in a microwave to defrost them they explode and go EVERYWHERE!!! :eek: NOT NICE!!

Good luck

CornCrazy
09-20-2002, 05:37 AM
Also, the mice would most likely be <b>very hot and cooked</b> in some places and <b>still frozen</b> in some places. That would be harmful to your snake.