PDA

View Full Version : How much to feed?

How much to feed?

BarbwireNRoses
01-10-2006, 04:40 PM
My baby corn is a few months old per my estimation. About 18 inches long and about as bit around as a womans pinky finger. She's getting one whole pinky every 7 days. Is that enough? She hasn't shed yet but I've only had her about 10 days. I don't wanna starve her. What do you y'all think?

Baba-Lou
01-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Corn feeding golden rule. Feed your snakes an item 1 1/2 times the widest part of its girth. if its hatchling. from what I understand 4-5 days but if you want 7 days. I personally can't and won't feed my snake before 7 days as he is on that schedule.

Lennycorn
01-10-2006, 04:58 PM
You should be OK. do you see a noticeable lump after feeding? If so your OK. The general rule is only feed a snake something that is 1 1/2 larger than the snake widest point. So it your call. And people pinky fingers are different size anyway. Male or females.

Good luck :cheers:

snakessss
01-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Yeah. I feed weekly.

Lavagirl
01-11-2006, 05:50 PM
I don't see a big lump in lavagirl like I see in some photos of baby snakes being fed. However, there is definitely some sort of lump in Lavagirl after she eats. I fed her two pinkies the other day and she's already pooing and the lumps are already gone. However, I am going to let 5 days pass before I feed her again. I had the moonlight bulb on when I fed her. It took less than thirty seconds for her to smell the pinkies and come out of her hide to grab the first one. Then she was back for the second. Then she was back rooting around for a third I guess. She sure acted like she was on a hunt. When she couldn't find anymore pinkies, she just slithered into her hide. She's awfully cool.

Preita
01-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Sounds like she's probably ready to move up to fuzzies pretty soon :D (Always exciting) are you feeding in the viv? Make sure it's not directly on the aspen because of impaction.

Lennycorn
01-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Sounds like she's probably ready to move up to fuzzies pretty soon :D (Always exciting) are you feeding in the viv? Make sure it's not directly on the aspen because of impaction.

Heed this advice.

good luck.

Lavagirl
01-11-2006, 06:26 PM
She's on newspaper (a sheet of it laid on top of the aspen). I made sure that there was no aspen on it it and she would not have been able to grab any corners in her mouth. I tried the feeding in a separate container and she acted real scared of the pinkie. It took a couple of hours and finally I just took her and the pinkie out. I laid the pinkie outside her hide, went to take a shower, came back and the pinkie was gone. Is that normal for the first time feeding in a separate container? I'm not not trying to take ya'll's advice, I was just concerned that she needed to eat and felt like she was stressing and wanted to help her. She's an awesome snake and now when I handle her, she uses her tongue alot and isn't so nervous when I try to pick her up. She's great!

Preita
01-11-2006, 07:07 PM
I use seperate containers & I know a bunch of people on here do too. But there are also people who don't. I would just watch her until she is done feeding if your not going to take her out. Just to be on the safe side.

I know someone just lost a boa on here to the snake eating the paper towel. :(

I find it easier because I can clean while they are locked up & eating.

Lennycorn
01-11-2006, 07:12 PM
I prefer to feed out of the viv too. It make you check them out, health wise, at least once a week.

BarbwireNRoses
01-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Well ok, but should I feed her two pinkies? There is a small lump when she's finished eating. And she shed the other day! (so way cool!) Thanks for all y'alls help. I've been feeding in a seperate container, she eats like a champ.