• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

calling all microbiologist- pseudomonas and my baby corns :(

h0mersimps0n

admitidly I did not anticipate my second clutch this year and unfortunately I did not give enough time for the care of my babies...

anyway, they had been sitting around in glad containers with air holes punched in them with paper towel and a pepsi cap full of water. One snake per container. Well the pepsi caps of water sometimes spill over and the snakes sat on the wet towels for a pretty long time being that I am away on rotations (I'm a third year medical student).

Well last weekend (sunday to be exact) I decided it was way past due to change out their paper towel and feed them. I changed all paper towels and all 6 babies ate for their first time, no problems, no struggles nothing. Not even three days later I go to check on them again to make sure no one has regurged or spilled their water and I notice no tongue flicking, some slight twitching and for someone who's owned snakes, bred before and knows healthy from sick these guys looked sick without even a long glance. My heart sunk. What had gone wrong. THE WORSE PART: I go to open the containers to pick them up and see if I can stimulate them and a HUGE whiff of grape/fruitiness lofts from the containers. Anyone who's anyone who's taken micro 101 knows fruity grape smell = pseudomonas aeruginosa.

Panic.

Knowing no 5 week old baby snake kidney can survive the antibiotics necessary to fight such a strict aerobe bacteria I've just finish doing the only thing I know to do- clean the containers and clean the snakes bodies paying the strictest attention to cross-contamination. For the next few days no paper towel, no water. Only time will tell if I've rid them of the bitter sweet-smelling death.

I'm trying for the life of me to figure out how I contaminated them being that they sat in wet paper towel for 2 or 3 weeks without any fruity smell (they were all happy, healthy until last sunday when I fed them and they ate). There are only two things I can think of. 1.) something was on/in the frozen pinkies (pretty unlikely although I did find that some species of pseudomonas can live at 0C) or 2.) nosicomial bacteria I brought home from the hospital somewhere somehow (although I'm a germ freak about washing my hands, clothes, bodies......... I guess there is an always possible 3rd reason and that is like almost all bacteria psuedomonas is ubiquitous and I provided the correct temperatures and humidity sunday or something that spurred the infection...

<sigh>

Anyone every exerpience this? I feel terrible, I love my snakes and especially my baby snakes.

Back