PDA

View Full Version : overweight, eh...

overweight, eh...

MightyNutteR
01-14-2006, 08:46 PM
Apparently, according to my girlfriend, my Amel is ever so slightly over weight.
So i'm feeding him/her 1 fuzzie every 8 days.
so my question is, when do they start to slim down?

ultimuttone
01-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Does she realize "twiggy" is not a popular look for corns :grin01:
I wouldn't think at 1 fuzzy every 8 days he could be overweight.

MightyNutteR
01-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Does she realize "twiggy" is not a popular look for corns :grin01:
I wouldn't think at 1 fuzzy every 8 days he could be overweight.

well, i used to feed him a fuzzy every 6-7 days, maybe two depending on the size of them

Lennycorn
01-14-2006, 09:04 PM
From what I understood is that you can overfeed an hatchling.
Meaning that they would just grow faster than put on weight. They would but on weight when they reach adulthood. And feeding every eight days is not pushing it since the general rule for feeding is every five to seven days.

ghosthousecorns
01-14-2006, 09:52 PM
How old/big is your amel?
If you can post a picture you might get more help on here.
I feed my snakes every 7 days. Hatchlings can eat every 5 days. Unless your snake is extremely obese one every 8 days doesn't sound like overfeeding IMO.
But I also think exercise is good for getting a snake in shape as opposed to dieting since in the wild they have to go look for food and don't have the option to lay there in their hide until someone gives them a mouse. They can become cage potatoes in captivity.

MightyNutteR
01-15-2006, 08:18 AM
How old/big is your amel?
If you can post a picture you might get more help on here.

yeah only problem is my cam sucks
oh, and exercising? how? just handle it alot?
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/5909/picture229ah.jpg http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/2623/picture191dg.jpg

marty.warwick
01-15-2006, 08:28 AM
He looks pretty good to me :)

colinmcc
01-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Doesn't look like a fatty to me either.

And your feeding schedule seems fine as well.

I'd stick with what you're doing.

:)

MightyNutteR
01-15-2006, 10:23 AM
You should see my girlfriends face. lol.

Preita
01-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Doesn't sound like your girlfriend knows much about snakes. I think your schedule & pictures looks good. I personally wouldn't change it. The snake still looks fairly young. (& if you are feeding 2 fuzy's you can probably move up to a hopper).

Get us some good pictures of that snakers! Looks pretty :D

Roy Munson
01-16-2006, 07:05 PM
I think that amel looks great. If he/she were mine, I'd give it a hopper every 6-7 days. Slightly more frequent feeding may actually boost her metabolism a little.

Preita
01-16-2006, 07:13 PM
There you go again Dean! Shoving food down their poor little throats! Put away the fuzy!

Yup I agree, snake looks like it could do hoppers :D

Roy Munson
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
There you go again Dean! Shoving food down their poor little throats! Put away the fuzy!

Yup I agree, snake looks like it could do hoppers :D

I was conservative in my advice. I left out the popsicle-stick. ;)

I dunno, an eight-day feeding schedule for a growing little snake just seems a bit too conservative to me. Even my undersized adults are on a seven-day schedule.

Preita
01-16-2006, 08:07 PM
Yeah I would do 7 day hoppers too.

Dean you should make a power feeding kit! lol It could be a funnel with a plunger stick.

Snake tested Dean approved! Hatchling to breeding size in 3 months!!! :roflmao:

MightyNutteR
01-17-2006, 07:17 AM
****. I fed him/her 2 rat pups. 2 days later, and during them two days he has been acting so weird. He lays down beside the door, and now i can handle him, i see a weird sort of bump, its only tiny slightly bit visible though.and where that lump is, you can see something in there, like poo, but its not near his rear end.
should I be worried?

MightyNutteR
01-17-2006, 07:19 AM
"but its not near his rear end." its more slightly pass the middle up?

Jessicat
01-18-2006, 02:32 AM
Depending on the size of the rat pups he might need a bit longer than 2 days to fully digest the meal. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Can you see a poop in the viv?

Something similar happened to me when I switched my first snake to larger meals. His lump persisted for longer than what I was used to as normal and I got a bit worried. Really though, there was nothing to be worried about.

ps:
You should see my girlfriends face.

after reading a bunch of posts about over feeding and fat snakes I found this a bit more humorous than I probably should have.. :rolleyes:

MightyNutteR
01-18-2006, 08:56 AM
yeah the lumps gone now =)