• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hey, I'm new :)

Maria_12

Maria N.
Hi, my name is Maria, I am from the UK and I got my first corn only yesterday (6 month old Anery A), so s/he is still settling in, s/he is also my first ever snake. I also have two leopard geckos, which I have had since October, so I am pretty new to herps in general.

I look forward to meeting everyone and hope my likely stream of typical questions doesn't get too annoying ;)

Welcome and congrats on your new baby :).
To answer all the "typical" questions try reading the FAQs section. It covers most of the basics and their is always the search function which will help you find information on just about every topic. If you don't find it that way, there is always someone willing to help here.
Remember to post pics of your new snake!

Welcome!

Already having some other herps is a great start but you'll find that with most corns if you give them a good basic home they'll perform really well for you. There's a lot of reptile related knowledge from your geckos that you can apply to your snake but other things that won't be rlevent (like UV light, calcium dusting, etc). As was said, the FAQ and search fubctions should answer pretty much every question you might have right now but feel free to ask away if you need to know something that isn't there or need a more in depth explination. Cheers,
Adèle

Weeey another UK person! welcome to the forums :) The people here have been the most helpful and I would be so stuck if it wasn't for this site, in fact Adele above has helped me to try to identify my Corn :p (Adele I'm proper biggin' you up, you should thank me(!)

hi

im new to, i got my corn snake about a week ago. just want to tell u somthing about corn snakes. mine bit me today and i scared me, and troped him on the flor. and if yours ever raises his head and kindof bouncy u should leave him alone for a couple of hours. if u touch him and he bangs his head at you but does not bite u u should leave him/her alone, that means he is most likly going to bite and not in the mood to be held.

- maxamillion

I always read that if they strike at you while attempting to handle them, you should ignore the behaviour, otherwise they will alwyas strike at you when unhappy as they know they will be put back...??

I will bear the behaviour you mentioned in mind though :)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes!! :D

Maria_12 said:
I always read that if they strike at you while attempting to handle them, you should ignore the behaviour, otherwise they will alwyas strike at you when unhappy as they know they will be put back...??
Yep. If you're handling your snake and it bites you or strikes at you it's best not to put it back in the cage until it calms down IMO. With our first snake when we didn't know better he would strike and we'd put him back. Took us twice as long to break him out of the habit. Welcome to the boards!

~Katie

Yeah its like.. If they squirm about a lot at first and you give in and put them back, they know that they've 'won' and thats how to be put back lol
S/He may go into striking position when you first put your hand in (I put a fist at first) and when you first touch him S/He may twitch a lot, It thinks you're going to eat it can you blame Him/Her!
S/He should get used to your hand being in the viv fairly quick and may be a little squirmy when you take him out, one idea is to hold him in the Viv or something in case he squirms out of your hands, but after a couple of minutes S/he should calm down..

And your welcome for the warm welcomes lol

I'm definitely going to take it slow with this one, I have learned that a lot of patience and perseverence is needed with reptiles. I've had my geckos for three months and they have only just started to climb on to me freely. I'm a little worried about my guy as he seems to have regurgitated or passed undigested food (I posted in the relevant sub-forum) so I'm going to leave him for a little longer than planned to settle in nicely. Fingers crossed everything is ok!

Back