PDA

View Full Version : When should I worry? he won't eat!

When should I worry? he won't eat!

flick
01-23-2006, 01:58 PM
We have a new snake.Got him 3 weeks ago. He is about 9 months old and was eating fuzzies(before we got him) since we have had him he ate 2 pinkies the first week.( Can't find fuzzies) One pinkie the second and now 8 days later he won't eat at all. He has not gone poo,or I can't find it, after eat the single pinkie. I'm not sure wheather or not I should be concerned or if I should just try again next week. His eyes are still clear. Temperatures are 70 to 72 on the cold side. 80-84 on the warm on the substrate. 89 on the glass.
:shrugs:

ballpythons18
01-23-2006, 04:11 PM
but my Ball Python can go up to 4-8 months without eating and still be fine, i just got a corn but somone correct me if im wrong a well fed 19 inch snake(the size of my snow corn) could probably last a couple of months without eating,i had a garter that was a lil smaller and didn't eat for 4 months and was still healthy,so no need to worry as of now, also my Bp is fasting and my corn ate his first meal,all i had to do was put the pinkie in his cage,his 5 days are up so im getting another pinkie in a few hours.

Good luck

JAG 32
01-23-2006, 04:23 PM
I would try feeding him again next week. If he refuses, you can try braining, anole senting and other methods. Snakes can go for quite a while without food but i wouldn't push it.

BRoSKO
01-26-2006, 02:07 AM
He could be going into blue . I would drop them temps on the glass to 85
when one of my snakes wouldnt eat i tried lots of things finaly i tried a live pinks and winged her to F/T ... Good luck :cheers:

flick
01-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Only been doing this for a couple of weeks, not sure on all the snake lingo? wing him to F/T???? It is now 2 weeks since he ate. I tried again but he is not interested. His eyes have gone cloudy and his colour looks quite dull. How long will it take him to shed? His eyes have been cloudy for 5 or 6 days. I have increased the humidity in the tank and covered most of it with a blanket. If I turn down the UTH I'm afraid the internal temp will drop too much. I just got it right.I think! 73 on cold 85 on hot. I think he is thin (from reading other threads) 9 months old 18 inches about the girth of a dime?

Lennycorn
01-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Only been doing this for a couple of weeks, not sure on all the snake lingo? wing him to F/T???? It is now 2 weeks since he ate. I tried again but he is not interested. His eyes have gone cloudy and his colour looks quite dull. How long will it take him to shed? His eyes have been cloudy for 5 or 6 days. I have increased the humidity in the tank and covered most of it with a blanket. If I turn down the UTH I'm afraid the internal temp will drop too much. I just got it right.I think! 73 on cold 85 on hot. I think he is thin (from reading other threads) 9 months old 18 inches about the girth of a dime?

The snake going into "blue". Eyes have a blueish hazes to them. The shed cycle around a week or so. Some snake go off feed during this time. Mine don't, some do. What your humidity reading? should be about 40-50%.
NOW F/T is frozen/thaw meaning your buy a frozen feeder (pinky) and thaw before you feed it to the snake. I think your temperature s are fine. What are you feeding the snake pinky, peach fuzzy?. Give it a week then feed on your regularly day. If feeding f/t, try braining the pinky or whatever or try slicing the back.to"sent" it a bit. What are your feeding procedure's. Do you feed in the Viv (tank) what time of day?/ etc.
Let us know. :)

Lennycorn
01-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Oh yeah, a couple good links.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28341

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342

should answer some more questions or even raise a few.

Good luck.

PssdffJay
01-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Braining being taking a sharp point, sticking it into the head of the mouse and squeezing it a bit to make some comeout. It worked when I got my corn cause she wouldn't eat for me at first.

I just used a finishing nail I had, after cleaning it and sterilizing it.

flick
01-29-2006, 12:36 PM
All right here goes! He has only eaten twice for me but both times we thawed the pinkie in hot water the just put it in the viv on a small plate ( so the bark wouldn't stick to it) picked up the snake, put him in front of it and he ate, first time two pinkies second week only one,now two weeks nothing. I have tried no handling. We haven't touched him in a week. his tank is covered with a blanket to try not to stress him out. When he did eat it was in the morning but I have tried leaving the pinkie in the viv all day. I haven't tried putting him in something smaller. How small ? How long do I leave him? Today his eyes don't look cloudy but he still looks dull. He hasen't changed position in 48 hours (unless he is really good at replicating exactly the same position every morning).

JAG 32
01-29-2006, 12:47 PM
I would say he is going to shed soon. None of my snakes eat when they go into blue. When you feed him again i would suggest using a feeding tub. For yours a 6 qt. sterilite tub or rubbermaid tub. When he gets bigger you will have to get a bigger feeding tub but i would worry about that now. A lot of times there eyes clear up a couple days before they shed. I wouldn't worry too much. Give him a couple days and after he sheds offer a pinkie. Also, snakes don't often move a lot (mine don't) when they are going to shed. Hope everythin goes well. Keep us updated. John

PssdffJay
01-29-2006, 12:48 PM
I always feed in a container. I use a gladware plastic container with some holes I drilled in it. It is big enough she can move around but small enough that she can feel secure and always eats no problem now. Try putting yours in a container with a lid, place a pinky in it and put it in the viv and cover with the towel. That has worked for me. Just dont bother it for an hour or so. If its hungry it should eat it.

isobel
01-30-2006, 04:30 AM
Jay is right, i really woulsn't worry. If he has already been eating and now he is ready to shed he will be ready for something to eat again. My adult snakes stop eating for a few weeks some times. My male went for 4 weeks refusing food he was perfectly healthy so there wasn't any need to worry about him.

If for any reason he doesn't eat after shedding, i would recommend Jays smaller container idea, it does work

Good luck
Isobel

flick
01-31-2006, 03:24 PM
He still has not shed but was much more alert yesterday, as it was feeding day I thought I would try everyones ideas. I put him in a small container with a lid (and airholes). I tried "Braining" the pinkie(if thats what you call it) left him for 90 minutes covered in the container in the viv. NOTHING! took the lid off and tried a pinkie defrosted in chicken skin. He ate it while I was still standing there and then took a second pinkie without the scent.HOORAY!! Thanks everyone!!! My daughter says "NOW can I take him for show and Tell????" Does anyone know if scenting the pinkie with raw chicken increases the chances of him carrying salmonella???