PDA

View Full Version : my snake is way 2 picky

my snake is way 2 picky

jammie
01-24-2006, 03:49 AM
my snakemy snake is soo picky it takes him 2 to 3 hours too get the scent and eat the pinky i dont think the thawed piny should sit out that long wat can i do :shrugs:

and is drinking alot of water a good thing :) she mid as well be a water hose

colinmcc
01-24-2006, 04:11 AM
Some of them just take their time when eating .... my oldest male is like that sometimes.

How are you doing the feed?

In a separate tub ... in a quiet, darkened room (or stick a towel over the tub). I know people like to watch their snake it but sometimes, especially when they're young and/or a bit jumpy, it's best to leave them in peace to eat.

As long as the food is going down and staying down I wouldn't worry that it's taking a hour or two for it to be taken.

:)

Dori Edd
01-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Mine never used to eat when the food was presented to him, would sit in the cage for hours and id start to fret as to whether or not it had been eaten.

I found the best way for him to get the scent, assuming you arent already, is to pierce the pinky, once in the head and once in the body. Pretty grim if you are a bit squeamish, but the second its anywhere near the cage he starts going mad for it. :crazy02:

Also, he does drink a fair bit, wouldnt think it was too much of a problem.

marty.warwick
01-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Mine eats in the kitchen, when I first fed him I darkened but watched him from across the room and he ate straight away.
Now he's fine and not as nervous, I can feed him under normal lighting, in fact I just fed him earlier and he's a little piggy, Flicks his tongue at the pink twice and gobbles it straight up :)

Preita
01-24-2006, 11:58 AM
Is the mouse warm enough? My first snake would take forever if the mouse wasn't warm enough in the first place. Funny creatures!

I also feed mine in the kitchen. I slip them into their delis, snap on the lids & turn off the light.

PssdffJay
01-24-2006, 12:07 PM
When i got Nagini, she wouldnt eat either for 3 weeks. I tried braining and then it wasnt a problem. She will even start eating before i actually have even put her completely in her feeding container or if i have she starts while i am taking her back downstairs.

rockinmindless
01-24-2006, 12:58 PM
my snakemy snake is soo picky it takes him 2 to 3 hours too get the scent and eat the pinky i dont think the thawed piny should sit out that long wat can i do :shrugs:

and is drinking alot of water a good thing :) she mid as well be a water hose

My male corn used be like that sometimes, he will sit in his feeding containter for a long time and be touching the pink and act like it isn't even there.. So I started using tongs to wiggle the pink in front of him to give it some life, works everytime in just a couple seconds.