PDA

View Full Version : A "new" old herper here...

A "new" old herper here...

Spiritmist
01-25-2006, 06:00 PM
Hello all,

This is my first posting to cornsnakes.com. My name is Brian and I'm a long-time herper who has recently started to get back into keeping/breeding after many years away from the hobby. I've had many snakes over the years, but my favorites have always been the corns.

I am an academic biologist who does molecular genetic research on gametogenesis and fertilization, and although my professional work does not involve corn snakes, I've long been fascinated by the wonderful color and pattern possibilities they offer. Kathy Love had mentioned this forum to me as a good place to go for serious corn genetics discussions.

Although I try to keep my knowledge current, I'm sure I've missed some things that have changed since the days when I had been seriously herping, so I look forward to learning from you all and hope to contribute as well.

Kind Regards,
Brian

ultimuttone
01-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the forum, and back to the hobby :wavey:
There are plenty of 'over my head ;)' discussions here that should keep your interest peaked. I look forward to reading your input.

Spiritmist
01-25-2006, 07:06 PM
Welcome to the forum, and back to the hobby :wavey:
There are plenty of 'over my head ;)' discussions here that should keep your interest peaked. I look forward to reading your input.

Hi Traci,

Thank you for the welcome. I've just been browsing the other fora. Yes,it looks like there are some interesting discussions in here. I think I'm going to like it. :)

Thanks again.

Kind Regards,
Brian

zwyatt
01-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Welcome :wavey:

Good to see another molecular genetics researcher! Okay, so I'm a novice, but I do work in a "molecular genetics" lab.

Hope you enjoy your stay :)

Spiritmist
01-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Welcome :wavey:

Good to see another molecular genetics researcher! Okay, so I'm a novice, but I do work in a "molecular genetics" lab.

Hope you enjoy your stay :)

Thank you for the welcome Zwyatt!

What kind of research do you do?

Kind Regards,
Brian

zwyatt
01-25-2006, 10:13 PM
I work in the lab of one of my professors. link to our research (http://www.life.uiuc.edu/kahughes/polymorphism.htm)

I do a lot of DNA extraction, PCR, gel running and hopefully soon I will get to do some sequencing. :)

Spiritmist
01-26-2006, 12:27 AM
I work in the lab of one of my professors. link to our research (http://www.life.uiuc.edu/kahughes/polymorphism.htm)

I do a lot of DNA extraction, PCR, gel running and hopefully soon I will get to do some sequencing. :)

Good for you, Zach! I took a look at your lab's website and it looks like you guys do some interesting work. I am definitely going to read the 1997 Genetics paper (Quantitative Genetics of Sperm Precedence in Flies), as sperm precedence is something we work on as well (we use C. elegans as our model system, though).

And again- thanks for the welcome.

Kind Regards,
Brian

Hurley
01-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to any incite you can provide from the mo-bio front. :D Enjoy your stay. It's a friendly bunch here and you'll find some very interesting conversations/threads.

Spiritmist
01-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to any incite you can provide from the mo-bio front. :D Enjoy your stay. It's a friendly bunch here and you'll find some very interesting conversations/threads.

Hello Hurley,

Thank you very much for the welcome. In my short time here already I've noticed it does seem like a nice group and I look forward to contributing/learning.

Kind Regards,
Brian