PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

Greetings!

schilsound
01-26-2006, 09:43 AM
My name is Ryan and I hail from south central Indiana. I have been involved with professional stage production for 20 years, moving around from audio to lighting and video production, rigging and more. I also served over 11 years in the US Army and National Guard during the period of Gulf War I.

I have been online since 1991 with AOL 2.01, and have gotten into PC computing from a mac base over 6 years ago. If anyone wants to talk system I'd love to see any other power users' systems out there . . . I am also a semi-retired partykid who learned to love deep electronic music while in school in Florida. I continue to spin tracks, play keyboards and dance until my knees give out.

Currently the majority of my work is as a stage rigger, working at height [typically 7o' to 14o'] setting temporary steel systems for staging and production. I travel regionally and occasionally pick up a tour or two. . . beats driving a desk. I'll enclose a couple pics of what I do for you guys. . . kinda fun, even if it does have a clench factor of ~14~.

I have had a longtime love of corns stemming from personal pet encounters over eight years ago here in Bloomington. My best friend was a BioChem major @ Indiana University and used to keep 3 adults and successfully bred a pair - from the moment I met them I was enthralled. When they clutched 14 and he sold the 13 surviving babies to a local pet store [after sucessfully feeding f/t for a month, I might add- very responsible lad] we both saw an opportunity.

When he decided to get back into herping I thought I would join him since it was so very fascinating to me before, so starting with one "just as a pet" that one became two, and with two there were eight, then ten, and now I'm considering another four or five or so. . .

We'll see what happens there . . . at last contact my best friend just got hired part-time at a small family pet store [I wouldn't buy a snake there, but their rodents are well-taken care of, and now they're CHEAP ;] so with the onset of my first colony rapidly approaching I may be able to balance costs to keep more ;]

Thanks to you all for maintaining such an encyclopedic collection of information and experience, and for being so ready to share it!

And especially thanks to Rich for the hosting/moderation, the various members for assisting a novice, and to everyone who read this.

[first 2 pictures are from my perspective @ 1oo feet above the ground, 3rd pic of of my work partner Ben doing the monkey climb untethered @ approx 13o feet- all shots in Bradley Center, Milwaukee WI]

marty.warwick
01-26-2006, 09:53 AM
Woooow, thats the coolest introduction I ever did see!
Welcome to the forums :D

schilsound
01-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Woooow, thats the coolest introduction I ever did see!

Well I must say the pics were shot with 'wow factor' in mind, so glad you liked them!

One of the cooler artifacts of the digital indoors with the work lighting is the ghosting, so looking at the pictures you get a sense of "Oh, Gaw!" as if you can;t really get a solid footing. ["footing" is KEY, lemme tell ya ;]

. . . or maybe it was just my dazzling storytelling and witty reparté in the text above the pics that wowed you, but somehow I don't think that's really the case lol . . .

Thanks for the welcome Marty!

marty.warwick
01-26-2006, 10:18 AM
It was all of it :) As well as the pics it was a very interesting read!

curiousL
01-26-2006, 10:42 AM
Welcome to the site. I am fairly new as well. My boyfriend got me hooked on snakes, it's so interesting and just from holding one it makes you want to learn everything you can about them. Those pics are kind of scary, but it seems as though you like what you do! Good luck with the rodent colony and maybe we will all hear about the next 4-5 snakes you purchase!!!!

Jessicat
01-26-2006, 03:16 PM
Welcome!

Do you live in Milwaukee as well as work there? Although I am not currently living there, nice to meet another Wisconsinite. :wavey:

I'm glad you've enjoyed what you've seen of the forum! See you around it.
Oh, and ps: I've been to the Bradley Center for a few Bucks games, but my view's never been quite like yours!!

schilsound
01-26-2006, 03:47 PM
It was all of it As well as the pics it was a very interesting read!

Well thank you, sir! kind- very kind indeed.

Welcome!

Do you live in Milwaukee as well as work there?

actually

I hail from south central Indiana

Not trying to be a smartaleck, I just LOVE the quotes tag lol!

I've been to the Bradley Center for a few Bucks games, but my view's never been quite like yours

And you should be glad, too- from what i have seen of the cost of concessions @ those games it would be a shame if you yacked it down onto the court level ;]

. . . hope you're enjoying the forums as much as I am- this place is great [although I think a couple of the senior members are plotting to have all humor erased from my posts so I am laying it on thick right now- beware. BEWARE!]

I saw your post about DA- I have a profile there that's currently stripped down because my digital watermarking expired and I could no longer protect any of my original pics from getting stolen . . .maybe next month I will renew or something. . .

My boyfriend got me hooked on snakes

Those pics are kind of scary

Good luck with the rodent colony and maybe we will all hear about the next 4-5 snakes you purchase!!!!

1/ kick@$$ boyfriend to do that. sounds like he's already a keeper IMHO. Have u intro'd to the parents yet? the bf, not the snakes. . .
2/ if u think it's scary in pics u oughta be walking out there and slip. now THAT's a reason to wear depends to work if I ever heard it.
3/ Thanks- i might have them furries as soon as next week or 2, and you better believe that I am gonna be crowing if I end up with any more lil' squigglers . . .

curiousL
01-26-2006, 04:33 PM
/ kick@$$ boyfriend to do that. sounds like he's already a keeper IMHO. Have u intro'd to the parents yet? the bf, not the snakes. . .

He is a keeper, I moved from San Diego to San Francisco (the East Bay, Antioch, CA) to live with him, he's the perfect man!!! We have both met eachothers fams. My dad says that he needs another hobby joking of course! My best friend doesn't want to visit unless she stays in a hotel, she has a huge thing with rodents. It's funny!!!! She's a total girly girl if u no what I mean!!!!

2/ if u think it's scary in pics u oughta be walking out there and slip. now THAT's a reason to wear depends to work if I ever heard it.

I couldn't even imagine, that would freak me out! I guess that's a whole new meaning of living on the edge right???

3/ Thanks- i might have them furries as soon as next week or 2, and you better believe that I am gonna be crowing if I end up with any more lil' squigglers . . .

I hope that our mice can keep producing so we can fill our rack. This is an expensive hobby along with our other hobbies as well! Have a great day! C ya around!

Jessicat
01-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Well thank you, sir! kind- very kind indeed.

Welcome!

Do you live in Milwaukee as well as work there?

actually
I hail from south central Indiana

Not trying to be a smartaleck, I just LOVE the quotes tag lol!

Oh. I took the "hail from" as "I am originally from" And actually... I first off read it as "south central India" :sidestep:
Guess that'll teach me to take a bit of a closer look :rolleyes:

So do you get to travel around a lot for different jobs? Seems pretty cool..

schilsound
01-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Sometimes I get out of the region I'm in, but usually my work stays in the IN-IL-OH-KY-MI-WI area

lookin at a couple films in the summertime out in Cali. Would be nice- I've never been west of the rockies, just a few trips out to CO. . . so we'll see...

what made you move to OR? Quite a temp difference from WI, but I mean if you wanted that u could just gone to FL lol

OK. enough of the 2 letter game, ic.

marty.warwick
01-27-2006, 08:09 PM
:grin01: Its okay, you don't have to do the phonetic spelling, I know how to say Inilokimiwi too :grin01:

schilsound
01-27-2006, 08:15 PM
:grin01: I know how to say Inilokimiwi too :grin01:

OMG I just sat there stunned for a second. . . . 1oo% totally and completely lost me.

Sounded like Hawaiian. ~shrug~

lol nice 1 marty. But you can't say it 3 times or you get ported into the 11th dimension.

Unless you can say Inilokimiwi backwards. . .

marty.warwick
01-27-2006, 08:33 PM
I can NEARLY say it backwards! :D
BTW Is that a boxy-looking iMac G4 I see in your avatar? You a mac man?

schilsound
01-28-2006, 12:35 AM
BTW Is that a boxy-looking iMac G4 I see in your avatar? You a mac man?

That's a negative- it's just a custom avatar from an old 8o's app. I am now a total PC convert- once I learned I could buy, assemble and operate my own custom PC for less than 1/3 the price of the MACs I was buying I converted.

Wish i could afford 3 macs to beat the 3 pcs I currently run, but alas that is not the case.