PDA

View Full Version : STILL NOTHING!!! HELP!!!

STILL NOTHING!!! HELP!!!

Cornelious
09-23-2002, 03:39 PM
If you have read my other posts you know that my baby corn which i bought on August the 30th still hasn't fed iv'e tried all the basic methods there is to try. Braining, scenting, tease feeding and still nothing has worked. All efforts have resulted in failure but not total failure, there have been two occasions where he has put his mouth around the head of the pink and then released. I had the snake in a seperate box with a dead brained pink, i then used chop sticks(in place of tongs) to wiggle the mouse a little bit. This caught the snakes attention an it started slithering towards the mouse. I pulled the pink back a little so the snake would think the mouse was scared and trying to run fom it. Then the snakegot right up to the pinks head and began to rub its head against the mouses head and flickers its tongue a little then it put its mouth around the tip of the mouse head but then it lost its grip on the pinks head. The corn repeated this process three times in a row biting and losing its grip. Finally after the last time it tried it the snake just slithered away and tried escaping the enclosure by climbing the walls. I kept on trying to wiggle the mouse a little then i tried using the chopsticks to gently push the mouse into the snakes lower body trying to entice the snake the same way tease feeding does. Everything i tried after those bite and releases didnt work the snake just kept running fromt he mouse. Then i was gone for the weekend so the snake had a bit of time to recover from stress and i tried the deli cup with a warm brained pink that didnt work either. I really dont know what else to try. Please I am now getting worried because it has been over 3 weeks since ive had little Cornelious and he hasnt eaten once since ive had em. So please if you know any other methods of feeding or any advice you can give me please respond to this thread

Please respond A.S.A.P. for little Cornelious's sake

thank you!

bmm
09-23-2002, 04:07 PM
For one you are still o.k. at three weeks. I know it seems like a long time but you do have some time left. He won' be dying tomorrow or anything from starving.

You mentioned the methods you have tried with pinkies. My question is are you buying these pinkies from the pet store? Many many times the pinkies sold in pet stores are 3-5 days old. These are fine for eating snakes, but it sounds like your snake is a little scared of the pinkie. I would definitly ask the pet store, or go to another store, and get them to give you ONE DAY old pinkies. These are usually much tinier than the ones they sell normally. He might feel less afriad of this smaller sized pinkie.

Also....try the pinkies head only. If you still have some pinkies left (day old or not doesnt matter) get one right out of the freezer and chop its head off. Thaw the head and offer it to the snake in the same manner you have been. It is again, a much smaller, less scary prey item.

And last but not least, I would be trying ONE day old *live* pinkies as well.

Remember trying something once sometimes is not enough.

Try all these things three or more times!
Pinky head
ONE day old pink
live day old pinky
and all the other methods you have been trying! Just make sure to try and get a smaller pink. !

bmm

Iris
09-24-2002, 01:45 AM
Try leaving a one day old pinkie or a thawed pinkie head or a brained pinkie or something similar in a small container with the snake. Then LEAVE THE CONTAINER ALONE overnight!
When I was trying to get one of my hatchlings to eat, I remember putting the pinkie in the tank and standing over the snake to see if it ate. I stood there for like 30 mins while the snake didn't make a move. Thenl the phone ran and I had to run downstairs and when I came back up...lo and behold the snake was eating the pinkie. I think they can tell we're there and get nervous. So try leaving the snake by itself.

abell82
09-24-2002, 02:21 AM
I would leave it alone for a day or two and then I too would suggest a live 1 day old pinky.Have you tried the brown paper bag method yet?(Putting snake and pinky in a brown paper bag overnight)This worked for my crimson,I had to assist feed a fuzzy tail to the blizzard tonight though,as nothing was working for him.If you do not know how to assist feed GET HELP it is extremely stressful both for you and the snake!Take your time! I do not usually stress till I can see folds in the sides of the snake from weight loss,then it is time for assist feeding or force feeding as needed. The more times you try and fail the more stressed the snake may become.

little twiglet
09-24-2002, 10:57 AM
maybe live is the way to go then if still nothing take him to the vet and go for the last resort FORCE FEEDING not nice but for his sake it might be the only thing left to do!:(

bmm
09-24-2002, 02:28 PM
Do not attempt to force feed or assist feed any snake until you have had someone show you how. And do not attempt to do this until the snake has lost some weight. Its stressful.

Cornelious
09-24-2002, 07:58 PM
This friday will be the fourth week of having my snake and it not eating. So i was wondering if it will still be safe after 4 weeks because i am going away this weekend and i dont wanna come home sunday and find a dead snake. Obviously from now till then im gunna try differant methods but if they dont work will the snake be ok until sunday or should i take it to someone to force feed.

Iris
09-24-2002, 10:50 PM
four weeks should still be all right as long as the snake has access to water.