PDA

View Full Version : Dented scale and more...

Dented scale and more...

serpentalley
01-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Despite light misting 2x a day, our baby Mirage shed a few days ago and it was in pieces and some was left on the tail. I removed the remaining shed and inspected all the pieces I could find in the viv. I was able to see that the head portion of the shed had one eye cap and the other, I couldn't tell because that part was torn off. I searched the pieces to no avail.

This morning, I inspected him thoroughly under direct sunlight and I noticed that the scale on top of his head and directly above his eye is dented slightly. Both eyes are crystal clear and shinny and I can't see any pieces of dry skin anywhere on the head or around the eyes. I assume the other eyecap is off since I can't observe any difference when comparing both eyes. Would it be evident if the eyecap was still on?

Should I be worried about the dented scale and possible retained eyecap? I read somewhere that a dented scale could be due to a humidity problem or injury. Since he's had a bad shed, I suspect it may be due to humidity.

stcktnkid
01-31-2006, 01:51 PM
I just posted about a shed problem that i was having with my new corn snake. I posted this in the husbandry forum and people seem to say that it should get better after a few sheds.

kimbyra
01-31-2006, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't worry. The eyecap should be evident, but if its still there it will usually come off in the next shed. If you're worried about additional pieces, you could dampen a paper towel with tepid/warmish water, then let him wiggle through it in your hand. That worked for my boy Adhemar.
Cheers!