• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

:( she didn't make it :(

Careykro

i had a thread up about my little puker who had a bad shed. i was following Kathy's instructions for regurg, but had to work on getting shed off too. since she regurged two more times, i asked at a pet store, and they mentioned to get a fecal sample and take it to a vet since she was regurging after a few days. so yesterday i changed her substrate to newspaper, and this morning.....well....she hadn't moved at all, and doesn't move when i touch her. so i guess i didn't get her to the vet in time. :cry:
thanks for everyone's help :eek:

are pet store bad to get baby corns?

So sorry to hear that. I've been in your shoes before. :(

Most people will tell you that pet stores are bad news when it comes to animal health. The best thing I can recommend is try to spend time there before you buy. Get a feel for what kind of care and lifestyle they give their animals. Ask questions. Try to handle the animal in question before hand. And take a fecal sample to the vet as soon as you can get one regardless of health.
I recently just bought a hatchling from a store that I've been going to since last April. I felt confident in how things are run there and so far haven't had any problems with my new guy/girl.

Thanks for the thoughts :)

----is it bad to keep babies in a tank together?

the place mine was from had maybe ten in one little tank.....

I'm so sorry to hear about your little one. I went through the same thing, I know how painful it can be :( I hope that you don't let this deter you though.

The best place to get a snake I have found (by getting a sick snake from a pet store) is a breeder. The difference between the two snakes is day & night.

Careykro said:
----is it bad to keep babies in a tank together?

the place mine was from had maybe ten in one little tank.....

Most likely yes. In addition to the possibility of one tank mate eating another it can cause stress for them. Also, all it takes is for one of those snakes to have mites and in no time all of them have mites. The same goes for parasites and other contagious illnesses.
Having them together is probably a common occurrence in pet stores everywhere, but that doesn't make it a good practice to be in the habit of. Like Preita said a breeder is a good choice for finding a healthy snake. There might even be someone from your area that breeds rather than going to a pet store.

Sorry to hear about your little one... that's so hard. I hope you can find a healthy little one. When you do, we'd love to see pictures!

I went through the same thing in early January. I didn't think I'd want another snake, but me and my husband decided to try again. I actually ordered one from a breeder from this site. I was very happy with the service I got from him. My snake is very healthy and has already shed for me. I'm not going to dis getting one from a pet store because I work at a pet store and we take very good care of our corns when we get them. The only problem with getting one from a pet store is that usually the store doesn't know anything about the snake when it comes in like if it was eating ok, when it shed, etc. before it was shipped.

Breeder it is!! i haven't given up.

---if a pet store breeds their own, is that better?

i have a small proprietor near me who breeds their own, and sells them out of a big name pet store. they're just in the back, with fish and reptiles, seperate from the big store. i like them, they've always been good to me for my gecko.

Thanks for all the sentiments :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Check out Mike Hoffer's Tropic Life in Milwaukee. He (the owner) is really into herps and presumably has some staff that is too. I would expect them to have some good animals and good advice too. I was impressed with his shop a couple of years ago when I was there.

Also, there is (was?) a herp society in the Milwaukee area. It used to meet at the Milw. Public Museum, but that was a long time ago - don't know the status now. But one of their members probably breeds corns.

I grew up in Waukesha, so get up that way once in a while. But it has been a long time!

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! She was from Hoffers :( i may go back there and check it out for myself. i've been there many times, but not to check out snakes. i didn't get my corn, she was a gift. so maybe i'll go back and see for myself. i guess there were about 4 in the tank at the time of purchase.
i'll check out the library too :)

Kathy - didn't know you were from this area :) good to know :rolleyes:

Back