PDA

View Full Version : How much food is too much?

How much food is too much?

Turtlez
09-23-2002, 10:27 PM
My baby corn Mythos seems to be a little pig. Probably because he is growing.
I fed him 2 pinkies today, and its been a week since I fed him before. Last week he ate two also. But he never seems to be satisfied. He still seems to hunt. But I dont know if thats because he hasnt absorbed his dinner yet and doesnt know if he is full, or if he is still antsy because he is cold. How much is too much? Do I dare try a third? I dont want to hurt him. I have asked other people about their babies, and they said theirs wont eat more then 1 at a time. Maybe he is just a piglet disguised as a cute snake.

Also, I know you can tell the difference between a boy or girl by how stubby their tail is. Mythos seems inbetween. Will it be easier to tell when he(?) is older? Or do you guys know a better way to tell.

Thanks guys

-Meg

bmm
09-23-2002, 10:37 PM
No reason to try a third. If your snake seems ready for a third and can take two with no problems, then he is ready for the next size up most likely. Try a larger pinky or small fuzzy next time. Get him up and beyond pinkies to something with more bones and mouse goodness is a good idea :)

And you can't really tell for sure by tail. You can take a guess, but even then the snake should be older than yours is at this point. You can take the snake to a vet and get him to prob your snake, or to a breeder to sex him :)

bmm

dartguy
09-23-2002, 11:51 PM
if corns are overfed I think they can be scared away from eating for a while - I have a baby that was overfed during its first two months - it ate 1 pinky every 4 days for a just over 3 weeks - when I got it it had not eaten for two weeks and all total it went 4 weeks before it took its first mouse for me just tonight - so i think it had 9 mice in 24 days so if that helps - my opinion is 2 pinks in a feeding is ok but only feed 1 every 7-10 days then - if you feed 1 pink then a little more often is ok - does that sound right with the rest of you - this is just my experience and as with any animal there are no hard rules - lots of people here can relate other experiences that will work well :cool:

dartguy
09-23-2002, 11:52 PM
LOL

mouse goodness

Iris
09-24-2002, 01:40 AM
2 pinkies a week sounds all right. If the meal is too large, sometimes the snake will regurgitate it. You shouldn't have any problems

I remember reading about a person who let their snakes eat as much as they wanted. Wel,l I don't know about those snakes, but mine would probably eat and eat and eat until they threw them right back up. So I don't follow that particular feeding method.

The little rule that I follow with mine is that the lump in the snake's middle after eating shouldn't be more than double its normal width.