PDA

View Full Version : He's so tiny....

He's so tiny....

2i2_D3gr33s
02-04-2006, 09:58 AM
I have a little guy right now, who's between 3 and 4 months old, who is very very little. He regurged once the 5th of January. Ate 3 times, and now regurged meal 4 since his last regurge. I was leaving him be, other than feeding until this morning, when I thought it would be okay to handle him again. That's when I found his pinkie that he had been fed two days ago. Before I put him back, I weighed him, and he's only 8 grams. He weighed in at 12 grams about a month ago. From what I can tell, he's acting fine, temps are all correct, and everything else is fine. I think his regurge was probably because of his food item being too big, as it was the first reg pinky, and the previous 3 meals were all small pinks. Anyone else have guys that weigh this little at this age? Should I be worried?

PtDnsr
02-04-2006, 10:36 AM
The worst thing is to get into a pattern with regurges. I would cut back the next meal to either the smallest pink you can find or a half of a small pink dusted on one end with Nutribac. Feed the same size the week after. Go very slowly in moving up in prey size and I would keep dusting with Nutribac. I had one little guy that did that so I severely cut him back and am dusting with Nutribac weekly for a while now. I have a girl that is easily 9 months old that only weighs 12g or so - she didn't eat for the first six months of her life and has taken her time putting weight on once she did eat. They all grow differently so as long as he looks healthy and stops regurging I wouldn't worry.

~Katie

princess
02-04-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm sorry to hear about the weight gain trouble Ron. Is he taking meals voluntarily or does he need to be helped? If he's still taking meals unaided then follow Katie's advice, it sounds good to me. If a baby snake starts regurgitating and then stops eating by itself it's not a very good sign. I hope it turns out OK for him.

2i2_D3gr33s
02-04-2006, 01:22 PM
He's always eaten volutarily, usually within the first 30 seconds of him finding the pinkie in his small tote where I feed him. He does seem to get pretty nervous when I take him out of his viv, right before feeding, so maybe it's nerves getting to him. Maybe I should put him in his feeding container, and let him settle down for a half hour or so before feeding? Oh yeah, I picked up 6 of the smallest pinkies I've ever seen an hour ago, so we can avoid too large of feed item.

scottrussell
02-06-2006, 05:02 PM
what does nutribac do?

MegF.
02-06-2006, 08:24 PM
It's a supplement that has beneficial bacteria like acidophilus etc. in it as well as some other amino acids and such I think. It's supposed to help replenish what's lost in the stomach after regurge. Kathy Love swears by it and I know other people have used it with great success. You can order it on Kathy's site.

Pumilio
02-06-2006, 08:26 PM
To directly quote the great Kathy Love:
"Nutri Bac, [is] a fine powder containing seven different microflora that should be inhabiting the gut of reptiles, but may be absent due to stress, disease, antibiotic treatments, etc. Using the powder as a supplement will sometimes allow the reptile to get back the natural balance of microbes in its digestive tract, and then its own immune system can take over. See my website for more details, or go here:
http://www.cornutopia.com/Corn%20Ut...information.htm"

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=126579

Pumilio
02-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Ah Meg, ya beat me to it! ;)

MegF.
02-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Ah Meg, ya beat me to it! ;)

Ya gotta get up pretty early in the morning to beat me!!! :) As long as someone answered....that's what counts! FWIW your actual quote on what it is serves far better than my answer. Thanks for that!