PDA

View Full Version : Can I feed my Corn a Slug?

Can I feed my Corn a Slug?

JoeyBagadonuts
02-05-2006, 01:21 AM
There are slugs around here! Is it OK to feed them to snakes? I figure corns eat more than just mice...any opinions?

Joejr14
02-05-2006, 01:27 AM
I said to read the FAQ, not go to a different forum and re-post your question.

No, it is not okay to feed your corn a slug, or any insect for that matter.

JoeyBagadonuts
02-05-2006, 02:18 AM
well, I didnt see anything in the FAQ section about what they can or cannot eat, only seen topics on how-to use the site. And I re-posted in this section since you a comment about the Feeding section.

Oh, let me guess, corn snakes only are supposed to eat mice? I highly doubt it.

xavusangel
02-05-2006, 02:28 AM
you dont have to act so rude, you asked for advice and it was given

Roy Munson
02-05-2006, 02:30 AM
well, I didnt see anything in the FAQ section about what they can or cannot eat, only seen topics on how-to use the site. And I re-posted in this section since you a comment about the Feeding section.

Oh, let me guess, corn snakes only are supposed to eat mice? I highly doubt it.

Who said that they only eat mice? In the wild, young corns will eat small lizards, baby birds, and nestling rodents. As adults they eat rodents primarily, but will eat birds if they can catch them. At no point in their lives do they eat invertebrates of any kind. There may be the rare exception here and there, but this is the rule.

Drizzt80
02-05-2006, 02:32 AM
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20919

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20965

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/search.php?searchid=206646

http://www.dakotacorns.com/Caresheet.html

http://www.cornutopia.com/Corn%20Utopia%20on%20the%20Web/-%20CARE%20SHEET%20Cornutopia%20corn%20snakes%20cor nsnakes.htm

http://www.cornsnake.net/care.php3

Just to get you started.
D80

Serpwidgets
02-05-2006, 03:09 AM
Slugs are mollusks. :grin01:

Hurley
02-05-2006, 03:11 AM
I certainly am not a slug expert, but I do know they can carry some nasty parasites. I personally wouldn't risk it.

princess
02-05-2006, 04:45 AM
Huh, I thought at first this was about feeding your cornsnake an unfertilised egg but I guess I was a little off.

Kingsnakes will eat slugs (unfertilisd eggs) but I don't think a corn would.

zwyatt
02-05-2006, 12:05 PM
I imagine with the right amount of salt and little bit of pepper they wouldn't taste so bad. :shrugs:

I do not condone the feeding of slugs :rolleyes:

howiet4702
02-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Slugs? Hmmm....nope :sidestep:

Taceas
02-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Corns do not eat bugs. Period. There may have been an isolated case of an extremely hungry corn in a petshop eating crickets, but that's only to avert starvation in the face of being kept by an ignorant piss-poor petstore.

If you want a snake that eats your cornucopia of slugs, get a garter snake or a Northern Brown Snake (Storeria dekayi (http://www.herpnet.net/Minnesota-Herpetology/snakes/Brown_snake.html))

If you know so much about what a corn eats, why're you reading the FAQ's and asking questions anyway? ;)

Do yourself a favor and get Kathy Love's book (and don't forget to read it). It's a wealth of the most basic of information of cornsnake care.

jazzgeek
02-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Do yourself a favor and get Kathy Love's book (and don't forget to read it).Books are for reading?? Tell me more!!

regards,
jazz

howiet4702
02-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Books are for reading?? Tell me more!!

regards,
jazz

I just look at the pictures :)

TandJ
02-05-2006, 02:50 PM
That would make sense, a book dedicated to corns, educate yourself with purchaseing a book or two related to corns and keeping them. Here is a link where you can buy a very good book about corns...http://www.cornutopia.com/ Certianly one of the biggest comprehensive and well thought out books available for any one even considering getting a corn.

Bugs are not a diet of corn snakes, as mentioned by many of the member's up above. Don't take it as we are trying to be rude, but as Taceas mentioned there are many people that will give you the worst advice or try to undercut the costs of keeping animals properly thus being exceptionally unhealthy to the animal. Keep in mind your question is one members often field here, and it is frustrating for many to answer this one time and time again, so don't take it personally..

Regards T and J

Gintha
02-05-2006, 03:40 PM
I think slugs would be a horrible idea. Ever wonder why you have so many around your place? VERY few critters eats slugs, and theres a good reason for it! There is a weak hallucinogenic toxin in the "slime" of slugs. Pick one up and lick its belly, the toxin will cause the receptors (tastebuds) in your tongue to tingle and may make your mouth go numb. And yes, I told you to lick a slug. I can't remember the name of the toxin offhand, but someone around here may know! (I'd look it up but I'm looking after a teething 15 month old baby LOL)

Lennycorn
02-05-2006, 03:47 PM
I think slugs would be a horrible idea. Ever wonder why you have so many around your place? VERY few critters eats slugs, and theres a good reason for it! There is a weak hallucinogenic toxin in the "slime" of slugs. Pick one up and lick its belly, the toxin will cause the receptors (tastebuds) in your tongue to tingle and may make your mouth go numb. And yes, I told you to lick a slug. I can't remember the name of the toxin offhand, but someone around here may know! (I'd look it up but I'm looking after a teething 15 month old baby LOL)

:-offtopic
Try offering a full size raw (uncooked) carrot. The baby can "chew" on that but won't swallow it, for it being so big. :shrugs:

dwyn127
02-05-2006, 03:49 PM
There is a weak hallucinogenic toxin in the "slime" of slugs. Pick one up and lick its belly, the toxin will cause the receptors (tastebuds) in your tongue to tingle and may make your mouth go numb. And yes, I told you to lick a slug.
Heather, I'm guessing (hoping) you read this and are not sharing 1st hand experience?!?:licklips:

jazzgeek
02-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Good idea, Lenny. Can I feed my corn a carrot? :sidestep:

regards,
jazz

Baba-Lou
02-05-2006, 04:03 PM
:-offtopic
Try offering a full size raw (uncooked) carrot. The baby can "chew" on that but won't swallow it, for it being so big. :shrugs:

Ha ha I read this and thought, to a baby corn.... But then I realised I've taken care of a 15 month old teethin baby. and I gave them a face cloth soaked in water that was then frozen with mashed food on the corners....They loved it. and it kept them quiet for some time.

Lennycorn
02-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Good idea, Lenny. Can I feed my corn a carrot? :sidestep:

regards,
jazz

Is you snake teething?? If thats the case......
I would only suggest feeding your snake a raw baby carrot if it's a hatchling but you might have to tie a string to the carrot and hang if from up above to prevent premature consumption. With the older snakes, after they start chewing just hold one end of carrot and one end of snake until teathing process ends.

This should be a sticky :eek1: :wavey:

marty.warwick
02-05-2006, 04:26 PM
I imagine with the right amount of salt and little bit of pepper they wouldn't taste so bad. :shrugs:

:roflmao: :roflmao: Ahhhh Salt on a slug.. ew.

jazzgeek
02-05-2006, 04:37 PM
This should be a sticky :eek1: :wavey:Agreed! :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

regards,
jazz

TandJ
02-05-2006, 05:39 PM
The hell with the carrot, now I got the urge to lick a slug! *LOL*

Regards.. T of T and J.. I don't think Jenn would lick the slug BTW..

Serpwidgets
02-05-2006, 05:49 PM
I think that Rich should just shut off all user accounts and this site should be turned into a big FAQ, because that's what it's all about.

Oh, wait, no it isn't.

I don't get why there are so many "question nazis" around here who lose their minds if a question that has been asked before is being asked again. (Oh, the abject horror of it all.) Believe it or not, some people who come here want to have a conversation instead of reading a FAQ, and that's why they signed up for a user account.

ghosthousecorns
02-05-2006, 05:50 PM
The hell with the carrot, now I got the urge to lick a slug! *LOL
I heard toads are more effective
Escargot? oh never mind that's snails :eatsmiley :eats02: :-puke01:

Lennycorn
02-05-2006, 05:53 PM
The hell with the carrot, now I got the urge to lick a slug! *LOL*

Regards.. T of T and J.. I don't think Jenn would lick the slug BTW..

Well, if that's your taste,
First proceed outside in the early morning and look at the foundation of your house to spot a few. Be prepair to sit down after the licking process. Dizziness will sometimes accrue.

Katt
02-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Slugs are mollusks. :grin01:

:-offtopic Tsk, tsk, tsk. Everyone knows slugs are gastropods! :crazy02:

Mollusks are creatures like clams, mussles, squid and octopi!

Katt
02-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Ok, Ok, I really just wanted to say gastropods, but yes yes, I guess they're all mollusks, but stomach foot! C'MON!

STOMACH FOOT!

Why slugs are just snakes with no scales!

Baba-Lou
02-05-2006, 10:17 PM
lol and smaller and slimmier lol.

Hurley
02-05-2006, 10:18 PM
LOL! STOMACH FOOT!!!!

Hehehe, great, now I'll be saying that for a week.

Baba-Lou
02-05-2006, 10:50 PM
I bet Connie lol. STOMACH FOOT.....STO-MACH FOOOOOOOOOT

Gintha
02-06-2006, 06:16 AM
Actually it IS first hand experience LOL. My Grandpa has a PhD in entimology and while visiting my Uncle in BC he (Grandpa) picked up a banana slug (these look like a piece of dog poo =P) and got us to lick its belly hehe. Made my whole face go numb! My new moto shall be "Have you licked a slug today?" hehe

JTGoff69
02-06-2006, 06:26 AM
And my new user title shall now be "Stomach Foot"! :grin01:

Baba-Lou
02-06-2006, 01:25 PM
And my new user title shall now be "Stomach Foot"! :grin01:

AH haha Nice :grin01:

zwyatt
02-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Well, I've just come from Animal Behavior class and my professor says slugs are part of a perfectly natural diet for snakes. GARTER snakes.
It was weird that right after this thread he lectured on this topic in class today.

:-offtopic For those interested (not many probably)...Basically inland garters in California eat mostly frogs and fish. Recently (geologically speaking) garters have moved towards the coast. Coastal garters show a preference for banana slugs over frogs and fish, which aren't widely available in coastal habitats. This preference has been shown to have a genetic basis rather than environmental. Tah-dah!

CaptBogart
02-06-2006, 06:10 PM
I guess I'm not the only one who thought toads were for licking :crazy01:

Lennycorn
02-06-2006, 06:21 PM
I guess I'm not the only one who thought toads were for licking :crazy01:

And they are good for giving you warts. :crazy02:

ghosthousecorns
02-06-2006, 06:21 PM
:roflmao:
"Are you going to buy that toad or just lick it?"
(Anyone else see that episode of 'The Simpsons'?)

kimbyra
02-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Just because something is there natural diet in the wild.....
I have a garter and would never give him something out of the yard full of parasites, toxins, pesticides, etc...
He's eaten fish and worms before, but now I give him pinkies - nice and clean.

RGAnimalLover
02-07-2006, 08:56 PM
I agree slugs are probly not good for a corn I would defenitly not feed a slud to my amel but I dont know alot about slugs. :wavey:

babbaloo99
02-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Maybe next time my nephew says a bad word I can threaten to wash his mouth out with slugs! Then he wouldn't be able to talk back :) Eh, he'd probably like it though.....