PDA

View Full Version : Feeding live mice

Feeding live mice

Z3us
02-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Apparently, I heard that it is a legal requirement in Britain that only pre-killed mice can be fed to snakes. Is this true?

bitsy
02-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Not true, but there are provisos.

If legally challenged, you must be able to prove that the snake absolutely refuses to eat pre-killed and will die unless it is fed with live mice.

Theoretically, you could still be prosecuted for cruelty to the mouse. There have been no legal test cases so far and the waters could be further muddled by the revised legislation under the forthcoming Animal Welfare Bill.

My interpretation only: don't feed live unless you absolutely have no other option - and can prove that you have exhausted all other options.

Tyger9791
02-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Wow. thats some crazy laws you all have over there. it's just strange, i mean they have to kill the mouse anyway. i wouldnt feed an adult live mouse as the mouse can injure the snake.
but i have fed my snakes live pinkies to stimulate their appetites...

i would be curious as to know where this law originated? was it because someone felt it would be cruel to the mouse?

marty.warwick
02-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Wow. thats some crazy laws you all have over there.

In Florida it's illegal to skydive on a sunday unless you're married.

Need I say more?

Z3us
02-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Indeed, some crazy laws.

I have always fed my snakes live mice, unless I bought frozen pinkies.

Feeding live pinkies to baby snakes might also be an advantage because it might stimulate the feeding instinct.

PS By the way, beautiful snake marty.warwick