• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Respiratory Infection

CornsnakeKeeper

Addicted Member
My beautiful new female ghost corn appeared healthy yesterday when I got her, but today I picked her up from her enclosure and I hear a slight wheezing (sort of like she is blowing air out of her nose really quickly). It doesn't sound good and I've never heard it with my other snakes. Now, how do I treat this? Am I right about what I assumed it is? How long til it will be cured? And is it contagious? I haven't spotted any mites or anything else yet. She was shipped to me in PA from NC. Could this have caused it? Thanks for an advice as she is beautiful and hope she gets well soon. Also, I guess it isn't much help since I don't know her normal temperament yet, but she has rattled her tail at me a few times....symptom of pain? Let me know! Thanks!

hmm

Are you sure its a "wheezing" and not just her breathing fast and hard from being nervous around you?

If it is a R.I. then you need to keep her away from your other snakes, in another room preferablly. As all new snakes should be kept away from a perons collection for a few months just in case.

In any case look for fluid, or more wheezing....lots of yawning....even a poping sound or fluid from mouth.

bmm

if it is a R.I. get her to a good herp vet right away. Sometimes they suggest raising the temp in the enclosure for a little while, or they might give you antibiotics to give her. I have one snake that seems especially prone to infections, but after the first 2 shots (out of usually 5 shots total, one every few days) of antibiotic he's fine again.

If it is RI. it should be weezing most of the time. keep an eye out for mucus discharge, another sign of RI. If your snake is doing either of these things (weezing all the time or has a mucus discharge) raise the temperature in it's cage to 90 degrees, make sure it's cage is dry and clean, go to the VET. IMHO

P.S. sometimes when you pick up a snake it will discharge some air in a single puff, that's not a sign of RI

Back