PDA

View Full Version : hey serp...or other genetic "geeks"

hey serp...or other genetic "geeks"

kenster
09-26-2002, 01:47 AM
Serp, I was reading the stripe/motley thread and read this quote

"Yes. Codominant, dominant, and recessive are ways to describe relationships. Motley and striped are codominant to each other and recessive to their Normal counterpart, which is dominant to both. "

Now does this mean if you bred an anery stripe/motley to a normal motley that the normal would be the dominant gene? Or once again am i just off in left field (which I normally am ;) ) I have no idea what the normal is het for. he came from serpenco. Just wondering because i just picked up an anery stripe/motley, and I was wondering what i should breed her to in 04. She will be here tomorrow and I should have a pic later in the afternoon to share with you all. Thanks in advance for any help here...

Ken

Darin Chappell
09-26-2002, 02:19 AM
What Serp meant ( and correct me if I'm wrong here, Serp) by that statement about both the motley and stripe genes being recessive to the dominant normal counterpart, is in relation only to the question of PATTERN.

So, if you breed an anery stripe/motley to a normal motley, BOTH animals have either motley or stripe/motley genes, but NEITHER of them have the normal pattern gene (or else they would be normals only het for stripe and/or motley). If you bred a motley or a stripe/motley to a normal, the normal pattern gene, which is dominant, would override the stripe/motley influence, and the resulting offspring would only be hets for motley/stripe.

However, in your case, your "normal" snake is normal in relation ONLY to color (assuming no underlying hets for amel or something). So, crossing the two you mentioned (still assuming no other hets) would produce all normally colored babies, 50% motley, and 50% stripe/motley, all of which would be 100% het for anerythrism.

Hope that helps a bit :D

kenster
09-26-2002, 02:26 AM
yeah that clears things up a lot! thanks Darin!! Guess I'll have to wait 2 years before I can see what the normal motley is actually het for. Which gives me 2 years to get cracking on trying to figure out all these genetic questions I have. Although any questions I have I am sure you guys here will be able to help me out with!! and I do thank you all for that!!

ken