PDA

View Full Version : Corn Snake Shedding and Mite Issues

Corn Snake Shedding and Mite Issues

snakeamateur209
02-19-2006, 02:40 AM
I just got my corn snake 2 weeks ago. He's been hiding constantly since I got him, but I figure it's because he's in a new environment, and because it's his nature. Anyway, today, I was looking at him from under the tank, and I saw a little black dot crawling on him. So, immediately i thought MITES! I haven't been able to handle him since I got him because at first, he still had his meal inside. Then, right after that, he started shedding. So, I haven't been able to observe him up close. I am COMPLETELY new to snakes, so I have no idea what to do. He has been shedding for about a week now, and the only thing that has come off is his head skin. I put shed aid on yesterday, but he stays in one place for so long, he'll probably never get the skin off. Basically, I just need to know what to do about the mites, and the shedding. (a few days ago, i tried to soak him to help his shedding, but he almost drowned, so i don't want to try that again; i'm assuming i put way too much water in). thank all who reply, in advance.

Lennycorn
02-19-2006, 08:11 AM
I you scroll down on this page, you will see other treads on the topic. Just click away.

Good Luck :cheers:

KatieL
02-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Hi Snakeamateur,

The mites problem is awful, but definitely fixable. My first little girly had mites pretty bad when I got her. My preferred technique is outlined in this thread:

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19015

I use this on ALL my snakes, both at home and at work, and have used it on hatchlings (of many species) with absolutely no side effects (which I consider a very good thing). My snakes all get treated twice a year with this technique, and I've had nothing but success. :)

Oh, and if your snake does have mites that could be one reason he's shedding. The irritation of the mites usually leads to more frequent shedding (a great adaptation in the wild, where they could slither far away from their old mite-infested skin). However, being a hatchling, they shed pretty frequently anyway.

One more thing I had a question about was, has your snake been in the actual process of shedding for a week? I mean, has he split the skin and been trying to shed for a week, or just been in the general shed process (eyes blue, ect)? If he's split the skin and can't seem to get it off, he may need some help (the sooner the better, if it really has been a week). Sometimes when its really dry, they have trouble shedding on their own. When the skin gets stuck on my snakes (which occasionally happens in the winter...its so dry up here) I put them in a sealed sterlite container with a damp/wet towel for 15 minutes (remember to only use luke-warm water), and if in that time they have not worked most of the skin off themselves I will take them out and let them slither through the towel held between my fingers. Usually applying slight pressure combined with the friction of the towel peels that old skin right offas hey slither through. Just remember to let the snake do the peeling, not you (I'm sure you knew that already though). Be especially sure to get the tip of the tail off...this is where trouble usually occurs. Well, hopefully this info will help you out a little. Best of luck!:)

snakeamateur209
02-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Thank you, so much. That plan you described seems pretty easy, I thought it was going to be hard. I just looked at my snake (because he finally came out of hiding) and i didn't see it "black pepper." But, from what I understand, this doesn't mean they're not there. Also, since you said it can be taken as a preventative measure, I am assuming it's o.k. I am just making sure that, you said "it won't bother the snakes eyes." So, it's alright for me to put it EVERYWHERE? Also, should i help him shed first, or get rid of mites first. Also, how big should the container, that I use to help him shed be? I have one of those mini terrarium things, that I put him in, whenever I need him out of the cage. Is that alright, or should I use a bigger container? Again, thank you so much.

snakeamateur209
02-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Oh, I forgot to tell you. He took his head skin off a week ago, and the rest hasn't come off yet.

KatieL
02-19-2006, 04:07 PM
I'd get that old skin off right away. The size humidity box I used for my hatchlings was about the size of a shoebox - just want to make sure its something that will hold the humidity in, obviously...so really any size should work. It could even be a deli cup with a wet paper towel if you prefer. :)

Also, the Nix is fine to use everywhere. The eyes are sealed in by the operculum (eye scale) so the nix can't get in there at all. I just try to avoid letting mine drink any of the left over droplets on the sides of the container you spray them in (one of mine tries to do this every time... *sigh*). And no, it never hurts to take preventative measures, as long as the nix is properly diluted. Just make sure you nix the viv real well too. I'd guess if you saw one mite once, there are probably lots more you're not seeing.

One more thing I've heard is that the snakes skin is somewhat sensitive after they shed though. So I generally don't treat with nix until 4 days after the shed is complete. I have no idea if that is actually necessary, but thats what I feel more comfortable doing. Feel free to make your own judgement call.

I would say your number one priority right now is getting that old skin off, then worry about the mites. Again, good luck, and let us know if you have any more questions. :)