PDA

View Full Version : New Micro Nikkor

New Micro Nikkor

Joejr14
02-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Essentially th same as the old 105mm but with silent wave motor and vibration reduction as well.

Wonder what the price tag is gonna be?

http://nikonimaging.com/global/news/2006/0221_04.htm

Rich Z
02-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Actually it appears that some of the newer cameras designed for digital bodies are cheaper then the older models. One reason is that they have eliminated some of the mechanical stuff like manual aperture control, which cuts down costs.

I would expect the glass itself to be at least as good as the original 105mm Micro, so it should be an excellent lens. The original was pretty quick at autofocus and a pleasure to use, so I would think this new one would be even faster.

As a general rule, I use the 105mm for all of the shots of the baby snakes, and the 60mm Micro for photos of the adults. I have the 200mm Micro, but rarely find a use for it. It's too big and too slow to be handy for anything. Probably one of the few Nikkor lenses I have that I might get rid of some day.

Actually, now that I am thinking of it, I have a rather rare 15mm Rectilinear Nikkor lens that I should put on Ebay as well.

Joejr14
02-24-2006, 03:13 AM
Yeah, newer lenses are definitely cheaper. I found that out when my kit lens started acting up and now I get to send it back a whopping 2 months after purchasing it. Yippie! Nothing like being without a lens for a few weeks.

Rich Z
02-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Well I have a bunch of older Nikon lenses and have never had a bit of trouble with any of them (knock on wood). I have a very old 1000mm reflex lens that is just as smooth and sharp as can be, and I know it's got to be REAL old from the plug in filters it uses. I recently bought a wide angle zoom that is a newer generation lens and I thought the box was empty when UPS delivered it. I have NEVER gotten a Nikon lens before that felt lightweight at all. Even the smaller ones have some heft to them from the glass and metal in the construction.

One of my more favorite all around outside lenses is the 24-120mm zoom. It does an excellent job of landscapes as well as moderate zooming capability for more distant shots.

Recently I broke ranks and actually bought a Sigma lens.... It's an astonishing 50 - 500 mm zoom, and I couldn't pass up at least trying it. All the reviews were rave reviews. Haven't had a chance to play with it much but it seems to be very capable. And it has the heft that the old Nikon lenses used to have, and for some reason I can't help but equate to "quality". But it's a BIG lens and not one you would want to lug up and down mountains, for certain. But considering it would take the place of several lenses in your camera bag, it may be worth it to some folks. I thought it would make an excellent vacation lens to take with me rather then the several others I used to take. Now all I need to do is find some time to take a vacation so I can try it out.......