PDA

View Full Version : Snake threw up again.

Snake threw up again.

Jay@PJCReptiles
02-22-2006, 09:27 AM
I purchased a 0.1 Miami a month and a half ago. She is supposed to be about 2 years old but seems alot smaller then a couple of others I have that are about the same age. I have read that Miami's tend to be smaller then other corns so I was kind of contributing the size to that. She has always accepted food eveytime it was offered but last week we fed her on Thursday (1 weanling-was a little large) and on Saturday she had tossed it up. I thought maybe it was because it was a little bigger then usual. I waited for a few days and she seemed like she was hungry again (roaming around tank, searching). I decided to feed her something smaller. I gave her two rather large size pinkies last night (Tuesday) that she accepted with no hessitation. I woke up this morning and she had tossed up both of those also. Can someone help me with this problem, this doesn't sound right at all. :shrugs:
Thank You,
Jay
~*PJCReptiles*~

dawnrenee2000
02-22-2006, 09:43 AM
Hi,

When there is a regurge alot of the good digestive enzymes and bacteria go away in the snakes system. They need 7 to 10 days to rebuild this back up before their system will do well with food generally. There could of course be a bigger issue at hand here, but I would reccomend not handling her and not feeding her for at least a week and then try a small meal. This should give her time to get her digestive system in order and if she regurges again , you know you need to look into other issues. It would not hurt to turn up her temps a bit in her enviroment for this week either because that triggers an immune system response from them.

Take care and Good luck

Dawn

dawnrenee2000
02-22-2006, 09:49 AM
I just went to your site link. Nice website you have going there. :cheers:

I think its great for people to use their sites to give information and general care of snakes as well. We have a site that we have put together this year for high school kids to introduce them to genetics through breeding of snakes and I am constantly changing it or adding things to make it better :) Sharing information AND learning is just another fun part of the hobby.

Jay@PJCReptiles
02-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Thank you for the input and your kind words. BTW, welcome to www.cornsnakes.com . This is a great place to take care of all your cornsnake needs. 99% of everyone who is a member here are really great and informative people.
Thanks,
Jay & PJ
~*PJCReptiles*~
P.S. We just started our site not too long ago and we would appreciate any input towards our site and any ideas you may have. :cool:

dawnrenee2000
02-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the welcome. We keep 22 snakes currently ( that number should go up after some hatchlings pip out in a few months!! :) ) The collection consist of mainly king snakes and milk snakes , but we also have two rat snakes and two wild caught specimens from New Mexico. We are going to get some Corns to diversify our collection next, so joining this site is educating me more on the specific morps of corns.

I have also decided to breed my own feeders and am enjoying reading the wealth of information on the forum on that topic.

Great forum. Much nicer than what I have found elsewhere and much more informative.

Good luck with your snake. I have one who has gone through some regurge issues but is otherwise perfectly normal. I took him off food for 2 weeks and he has been fine since.

Namaste,
Dawn

kathylove
02-22-2006, 11:14 AM
I have written up a fairly detailed FAQ on regurges. I would be quite concerned with 2 in a row, especially when the second feeding was just pinks. Maybe you didn't wait long enough for recovery. If you have not already read my FAQ, take a look at it here:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17308

Good luck!

PtDnsr
02-22-2006, 03:44 PM
I'll second Kathy - you can't go wrong with her FAQ IMO. I usually wait 10 days and then do a very small food item. I'd also quit handling for a while to avoid stress.

~Katie

Jay@PJCReptiles
03-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Thanks everyone for your help in this matter. I have waited 10 days since her last feeding and gave her a really big pinkie yesterday and she is keeping it down with no problem. Again, we want to thank everyone who helped us with this problem. :)
Thank You,
Jay & PJ
~*PJCReptiles*~ :cool:

diamondlil
03-05-2006, 03:43 AM
:) :) :) :) :) hurrah!

cornsnakemaster28
03-05-2006, 10:27 AM
wow well if the pic you have is the size of it large pinkies are too big for her. Mine is just like that i tryed feeding her a fuzzy but spit it right out. So about 2 sheddings later I'm trying that fuzzy or large pinkie. I'd suggest go with the regular pinkie.
be safe and good luck!

cornsnakemaster28
03-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Oh nvm sorry didn't read your last one

That's wonderful good job :cheers:

Jay@PJCReptiles
03-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Thats ok cornsnakemaster, I can understand the confusion. LOL "Mia" has held down a pinky now for 4 full days! I am going to give her another pinky tomorrow afternoon...she needs to keep her food down and get so meat on her little bones. I would hate to lose her.
PJ & Jay
~*PJCReptiles*~ :wavey:

Lennycorn
03-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Thats ok cornsnakemaster, I can understand the confusion. LOL "Mia" has held down a pinky now for 4 full days! I am going to give her another pinky tomorrow afternoon...she needs to keep her food down and get so meat on her little bones. I would hate to lose her.
PJ & Jay
~*PJCReptiles*~ :wavey:

I would wait a week until the next feeding. After a few feeding then go back to schedule. And do what Kathy love treatment saids.

Jay@PJCReptiles
03-07-2006, 10:18 PM
I do have what Kathy Love advises...yet "Mia" is not a baby, is she is a 2003! I will wait til Friday and keep my fingers. I just dont want to lose her...it would break my heart. I guess slow and patient arent my strong suits in this case. Jay goes off to work and I am here with the snakes all day and I just want to hold her and baby her like a mommy. I am getting used to it though. Thank you for your gentle reminder Lennycorn!
Smiles
PJ & Jay :)