PDA

View Full Version : Rat X Corn???

Rat X Corn???

Richard
09-30-2002, 10:47 AM
I don't plan on it, but i have two snakes, one rat and one corn. What would happen if they bred or is this even possible? Has anyone ever seen a rat x corn just wandering
richard:confused:

Simon
09-30-2002, 02:31 PM
Creamsicles are an out come of a rat x corn snake...
not just rats snakes, even milk snakes and king snakes COULD be breed to a corn snake.....BUT
I WOULD NOT RECOMMAND this....as this could somewhat screw the corn snake's genes....IMHO....
so I would never breed a corn snake with a rat snake or any other snakes......even a corn snake with a creamsicle is something that I wouldn't do....

just my own opinion.....

but to answer your question, yes it's possible

kenalotia
09-30-2002, 03:07 PM
Breeding a corn to a rat snake will do nothing at all to the corn snake's genes, or to the rat snake's genes. They will stay just the same. The hatchlings will be intergrades. I should also mention that corn snakes are a type of rat snake. There are many rat snake species, one of which is Elaphe guttata guttata (the corn snake). Emoryi's rat snake, depending on who you ask, is a subspecies or corn snake (E. guttata emoryi) or its own species (E. emoryi). Emoryis and corns have been known to interbreed in the wild on occasion. The hatchlings are fertile. Just make sure, if you sell them, that the buyer knows exactly what s/he is getting, a cross between a corn and a rat snake.

Richard
09-30-2002, 04:24 PM
cool thanks for your help:D

abell82
10-01-2002, 12:11 AM
What kind of rat snake is it?

Richard
10-01-2002, 12:41 AM
I'm not really sure here's a pic

dartguy
10-01-2002, 01:32 AM
nicely put kenalotia

Darin Chappell
10-01-2002, 02:51 AM
It's not a full picture there, but I think you have a prarie kingsnake (Lampropeltis calligaster calligaster), not a rat snake. Although they are not as aggressive to other snakes as are California kings, Prarie kings WILL eat other snakes. So, I'd be very careful putting your corn in with that animal.

A better picture showing the full body and a clear head shot would allow a more definitive identification, however. Let us see more?

:cool:

Darin Chappell
10-01-2002, 03:10 AM
It's small, but here is a pair of pics of Prarie Kings from the Missouri Dept. Of Conservation website:

http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/nathis/herpetol/snake/snake14.jpg

Richard
10-01-2002, 01:26 PM
wow thanks no clue. The snake was givin to me after my neighbors little boy had him for like 4months so i didn't think it would be good to release him. But i'll try to get a better pic. but he can be pretty aggresive look at my thread in behavior.
Thanks for your help

abell82
10-02-2002, 12:49 AM
While I am unsure if yours is or is not a Prairie king.Here is a pic of my Prairie king.Darrin is right these are very cannibalistic be careful trying to breed them.I personally would absolutely LOVE to see a Corn x Prairie King.

CornCrazy
10-04-2002, 12:45 AM
Here's a picture of a juvenile ratsnake that I had:

CornCrazy
10-04-2002, 12:46 AM
A head shot this time!

CornCrazy
10-04-2002, 12:49 AM
And here's the top of it's head! If your snake is WC, then you won't know what kind of rat snake it is until it is bigger. The black, gray, and yellow rat snake hatchlings all look alike. Good luck, and I hope these pictures help!

Jayde
10-23-2002, 11:48 AM
One of my snakes, Lord Diamond, is a RatxCorn cross. He is a Snow Corn and has the elongated head like the other peoples pics. Sometimes you can see the point of the rat snake's spine when he put's his neck down. He can some times be aggressive but he loves the female (full) cornsake Ruby.
And my hatchlings from the pair are 3/4 Corn and 1/4 Rat.
I think people breed Rat and Corns for the Genetic colours and morphs. It doesn't really mess up the Corn snake Genes because Corn snakes are from the same family as the Rat snake.

Luv
Jayde
-x-

MentalMenace
11-22-2002, 03:35 PM
its a gray rat snake im nearly 100% shure ive had one(it had to be put down it had a spinal kink and because of that it couldent eat :( but here is a pic of him but its a realy fuzzy one but you can see it any way

Richard
11-22-2002, 03:38 PM
where did you get him
i still have mine he's getting bigger and eats well do you think he will keep the coloring?

MentalMenace
12-31-2002, 05:43 PM
Richard i have a corn/ratsnake and he looks the same as yours and as yours mine is olso aggressive hear is a pic of him he olso doesnt have the dimand shape on the top of his head but he does have the stripe from the tip of his nose and down the back of his eye. i hope you liked to see a rat/ corn