PDA

View Full Version : Waterdish...

Waterdish...

Bippy
04-15-2002, 12:57 AM
Is there any way to convince a cornsnake NOT to poop in his water dish? :confused:

jim
04-15-2002, 01:39 AM
sorry, none that i know of. it seems just to be a preference of some corns to use their water as a commode. you could try a psychologist or motivational speaker to possibly root out the underlying issues he may have and this may help him deal with these issues more effectively, thus curing him of his little blunders of etiquette. just a thought...
seriously though my answer is no... it is just a preference of some corns... enjoy!!! ---jim

eAndrew
04-15-2002, 12:33 PM
You could try giving him/her a lukewarm bath in a tupperware container or some such thing a couple of days after feeding...if you watch your snake, you can often predict when the snake will defecate. Often, they will be just as happy doing their business there as in the water dish...and it's much easier to clean up (and it leaves my mind far more at ease about bacteria!).

Hope it helps,

Kevin M
04-15-2002, 05:43 PM
If only their was a way...

-Kev

Simon
04-16-2002, 03:14 AM
hahah
tell them
"No, bad snake bad snake" Like what people do when dogs do that....hahahah

But really no.....

Rachel
04-18-2002, 07:26 AM
if I knew I would be using the technique on my ghekos! And they crap at least every other day!!

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
04-30-2002, 06:33 PM
I put two water bowls in their tank. I put little signs next to each bowl. One that says "Drinking Water Only" The other sign says "Swimming and Pooping Only". This seems to work. The next best thing is the warm bath after the 48hR. Works 85% of the time but it never works with Barbie. She just doesn't want anyone watching her when she does her business. Good luck! Sam ~~~~~~:~;)

Kevin M
04-30-2002, 07:32 PM
How did you get your corns to read? :)

jim
05-01-2002, 03:03 AM
kevin,
like everyone already knows you start with "A" and work from there. mine are up to "S" and seem to really like that letter.... ;)

Kevin M
05-01-2002, 03:31 AM
n/p

DirtySanchez
05-01-2002, 08:51 AM
Look at it this way, its easy clean up

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
05-01-2002, 11:09 AM
They each have IEP's so their learning styles are different depending on the diagnosis. Hooked on Phonics, Let's Read are a sample of the programs we use. I'm afraid there may be no hope for Barbie, the blonde beauty. I think she might be SED but I will have to wait until she is a little older before an evaluation will provide valid results. lol :rolleyes: Sam ~~~~~~:~

Darin Chappell
05-01-2002, 11:34 AM
I use a very small water dish for my one male that continually deficates in his water dish. That way, even if he tries, he generally misses. It seems to work for me.

Darin

jjunner
09-02-2002, 01:27 PM
my corn has 2 water dishes in his cage. one is for drinking, the other is for swimming, until he poops in it..then its used as a toilet.. but then i clean it and all is well

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
09-02-2002, 06:08 PM
So jjunner, did you put up the little signs that tell your corns where to swim and poop and where to drink?;) Sam~~~~~~~~:~

GinnyO
09-03-2002, 09:38 PM
Thanks for ending my day with a good laugh! I loved reading this thread :D

little twiglet
09-06-2002, 03:41 AM
try giving a bath 2 days after they have eaten that should encorage pooping and save on substrate!!!

Rainey
09-10-2002, 02:44 PM
Maybe try the bath thing and the sign thing.

Before you do the sign thing, make sure you put it in Gr 1

Rainey

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
09-12-2002, 04:03 PM
Do you mean to print it and not use script? Uhmmmmm, Good thought. Soon we should be able to label other areas, like sleeping quarters. Perhaps we can post No Male Snakes Beyond This Point! to prevent any early promiscuity:rolleyes: Sam ~~~~~~:~

Muggerz
03-29-2003, 11:59 AM
I think I'd rather them go in the water...It's a lot easier to change a water dish regularly than have to dig through bedding to find poop.

13mur 6
03-29-2003, 06:39 PM
From my experience, most of the snakes I've had try not to poop near their main hiding place. So if your snake likes to hang out on the warm side, try putting the water dish there. Also, try changing the cover of the water dish, i.e. if your water dish is under alot of decorative plants, thus covering up the water dish, put it in an open spot, and vice versa, see if it changes things. Another thing to try is make the water shallow (and also provide a deep one if your's is the bathing type).

Usually some change or another creates the desired reaction (some may created undesired ones, like not drinking, so becareful).

-13mur 6