PDA

View Full Version : chicks?

chicks?

diamondlil
03-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Not a problem, more of a question, does anyone here feed their corns day-old chicks? Any thoughts on how the corn's would do on chicks? I checked the rodentpro nutritional tables and they look good. I tried Buck on 1 last week, had to cut off its' head and feet, then he took it eagerly with no problems.

Susan
03-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Alot of people will occasionally feed their snakes chicks. Even I have done so in the past when some were given to me. The only concern I have heard about is the possibility of giving your snakes Salmonella, as that particular parasite is associated with chickens as well as herps.

Tom Tuttle
03-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Ocasionally we will feed a day old quail. They are much smaller than chicks.We also use them to scent pinks for the occasional stubborn feeder. :cheers:

diamondlil
03-06-2006, 05:14 PM
thanks, I wonder if chick-scenting a pink will work for lil? something else to ty while waiting for the live pinks

colinmcc
03-06-2006, 06:16 PM
thanks, I wonder if chick-scenting a pink will work for lil? something else to ty while waiting for the live pinks

Could also try a chick drumstick on a problem feeder hatchling.

Worked for me in the past .....

diamondlil
03-06-2006, 06:26 PM
I was just wondering about trying that.........I've got 48 chicks in my freezer, so it's worth a go! I have discovered that chicks do not blend down like mice do, the feathers block up the syringe, so if she doesn't take to eating chick herself, I'll skin the darn things before blending them :rolleyes:

Tom Tuttle
03-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Have you tried thawing a pink with a chick drumstick? Brain the pink with a safety pin after rubbing the chick feathers on it. :cheers:

diamondlil
03-07-2006, 04:52 AM
for the last 2 weeks have given up offering Lil pinks and just syringed her instead, weight now up nicely to 17g and she's shed as well, I sort of wanted to break the 'offer food-reject it' cycle before the mice produce some live pinks to try. She's due feeding friday so I can easily try thawing the chick drumstick with a pink, to cover both those suggestions. My plan is to stop feeding her approx 1 week before the pinks are due to give her a chance to feel hungry. For now my focus was to get some meat on her bones any way I could.

colinmcc
03-07-2006, 07:26 AM
When I was feeding drumsticks the way I did it was:

Twist off the leg at the hip joint.
Twist off the claw below the knee.
Peel back the skin.
Feed.

After a few feeds on drumsticks I switched to pinkies rubbed with drumsticks, then onto un-scented drumsticks.

Worked well. I have The Reptile Trust (http://www.reptileallsorts.com/reptiletrust.htm) to thank for that one, it was their suggestion. :)