PDA

View Full Version : Poop or regurge? :-(

Poop or regurge? :-(

Muggle
03-08-2006, 12:25 PM
I found this in Felix's cage this morning. If it's a regurge it's his second. He regurged first on February 24 (that was definitely a regurge, yuck) two days after eating. I gave him half a pink on March 5th and found this on the 7th. I think it looks like it might be a regurge but it looks different from the other one so I'm not sure. It doesn't smell but I'm not going to go pocking at it :-puke01: . If this is his second regurge what should I do now? :cry:

Laura

marty.warwick
03-08-2006, 12:35 PM
It does definately look like a regurge, apparently they don't smell as much when they are more digested - I just read that and it was helpful for me! (read my recent thread lol)

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342
Scroll down to see Kathy Loves guide to regurges :) Its what I'm doing:)

zwyatt
03-08-2006, 12:50 PM
As far as regurges go, definitely read the full FAQ's about them. Kathy's advice is very helpful. As sort of a quick (and not exhaustive) review:

-Wait 8-10 days before feeding again
-Feed smaller items for the next several meals (not just the first). After a regurge, I go down all the way to pinky heads for the first meal or two.
-If possible, give Nutribac a try to get the "good guys" back in your snake's digestive system. You can lightly dust the prey item, but you might also try mixing a little of the powder in his water so that he can be getting some of it into his system before he eats. I would switch the water out at least every other day.
-Try to limit all stress from handling or other means, and keep the temps warm enough to aid in digestion.

Good luck with him :)

Muggle
03-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks both of you for the link. I had read that once but then couldn't find it again. I'll definitely offer just a head next feeding (and cross my fingers). Where can I get NutriBAC other then off the internet? I don't have a credit card or anything so ordering on-line can be a challenge :rolleyes: . Should I up the temps? It's 85 on the hot side right now. Anything else I should know? I'm worried about my baby!

Muggle
03-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Is this something that can be passed to my others? Should I quarantine him? I think what Felix Felicis needs is some Felix Felicis :bang: .

zwyatt
03-08-2006, 02:13 PM
If it's just a simple regurge from stress, handling, or whatever, then no it won't be passed to others. But without knowing for sure what the cause was, I wouldn't feel comfortable saying anything with 100% certainty.

You might try looking in local pet stores for Nutribac. I've never seen it around my area, but they might have it where you are. There may also be different brands. Nutribac is a probiotic, so you might look over what products are available and see if anything fits that bill. I wouldn't give anything to my snake before making sure it is what I thought it was, though. Or maybe if you know any snake people in your area, they might have some that you could use.

In my experience, 85 has been high enough for temps. That is what my rack system is set at and I don't have any problems. Each snake can be a little bit different. You may try raising it a degree or two and see if that helps, but I wouldn't think your temps are much of a problem.

cornsnakemaster28
03-08-2006, 03:15 PM
mine used to do that but I've read that if you raise the temp. a little more (about 5-10degrees) it helps them digest it more. That's all i have to suggest for you.

SnakeAround
03-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Good luck on this!

Muggle
03-13-2006, 04:00 PM
I took Felix to the vet today. The vet gave him Panacur Paste and said to feed him an abdomen rather then a head next feeding and to call if he regurges it. I think she said the paste was for worms . . . She couldn't do a fecal, I took some in but it was dried out already. I still can't find any NutriBAC, I'm going out right now to see if I can find some grapefruit seed extract. Dose the panacur sound like the right thing? idk :shrugs: .

MikeSaw23
03-13-2006, 07:38 PM
TIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a tip buddy, when you feed him make sure that he has a slether to hid in and make sure that it is warm. DO NOT HANDLE YOUR CORN AFTER EATING; it likes someone 100x your size picking you up and shaking you after you eat that will not make a happy picture. You should wait at least 2 days to pick him up. If your corn feels worried he will shoot it right out<<<BAD. So just make sure that he has slether and a warm end and plenty of water to drink. HOPEFULLY THIS WORKS.

Muggle
03-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks Mike, I never handle after feeding if I can help it. I just tip the feeding box into the viv and let them slither out. Is the grapefruit seed extract over kill? If it's worms I'm sure panacur will do the trick so . . . Should I have a fecal done on all my snakes now? I don't even know if Felix has anything wrong in that regard since they didn't do a fecal. I can't help but feel she jumped the gun on the panacur (I don't give myself drugs if I can help it) but I suppose it's better safe then sorry. I have so many questions it's giving me a headache. I just pray Felix is going to be alright.