PDA

View Full Version : max time allowed to freeze fresh killed rodents

max time allowed to freeze fresh killed rodents

pdrau
10-02-2002, 12:35 PM
What is the max amount of time that should be allowed for freezing uneaten fresh killed rodents? My male creamsicle decided he didn't want the rat I gave him last night. I'm leaning to the side of caution and probably will just toss it. For future reference I'd like to know where the threshhold is for freezing them for later use. Hope that made a bit of sense. I'm a bit stressed out about Hurricane Lili at the moment.

Peter

Axe
10-02-2002, 01:46 PM
To be honest, I wouldn't try freezing 'em. Sure, they may be ok to freeze, but the thing is... If u'r snake's refused it for a reason (eg, it's sick, has parasites, coccidea, etc.) You don't want these being transferred to the mouse. Cuz then you get u'r snake fecal tested, give whatever meds and it's all cleared up. Then a week later you defrost the previously attempted mouse, down it goes, and you've got a reinfected snake.

If you're just dangling the mouse in front of the snake, it has a sniff and ignores it, sure I'd think it may be safe, but if you leave the snake and mouse together in a tub for 10 minutes, that snake's gonna be crawling all over the mouse even if it don't eat it, so in that case I wouldn't freeze.

I know this can be expensive if u'r buying from the local pet store, and it happens long-term, but personally, I don't see it as being worth the risk.

And once you've defrosted a frozen mouse, and it's been refused, DON'T refreeze it, then you really must throw it out.

pdrau
10-02-2002, 01:53 PM
I'm going to toss it and pick up a couple adult mice for him. I think he looked at that rat and said the hell with that...that thing is too big. The female got hers down, but it was apparent that she had a rough time with it. I think I'd prefer feeding multiple smaller food items than one larger one. My smaller corns are ready for adult mice now that their supply of frozen hoppers is just about depleted. They are currently devouring 4 hoppers at a time and looking for more.

Peter

bmm
10-02-2002, 03:22 PM
4 hoppers! they can definitly eat adult mice.

If rats are to big, buy pinky rats! my snakes love those, and a little bit bigger and they are the smae size as adult mice.

bmm

Matt L
10-02-2002, 10:58 PM
Peter,
I'm with bmm on this, rat pups work well! I breed them for my adult corns just for that purpose. I don't even offer my 6 foot adult corn adult rats. I don't know why we call them "Rat snakes" anyway? I guess "mouse snake" is quite boring! Just an unrelated note...my 52" E.O.Quadravititta can take adult rats, a meal that can last him 2 weeks.

Matt

bmm
10-03-2002, 12:00 AM
Matt-

Have you found benifits or anything from feeding rats over mice? I know its a long long long debated question...but what if anything do you find?

I found my snakes seem to be fuller after a rat meal, although this could just be pish posh and I might just "feel" that way. But it seems like they lay around and take more time to rest after a rat meal. Almost like eating normal dinner everyday (mice) then eating that thanksgiving meal !!! (rat pup) *lol*

bmm

Matt L
10-03-2002, 12:42 AM
bmm,
The only benefit I find is that they, at birth are a little larger, this reduces feeding and growth time before feeding them to my snakes. I must comment that gestation time and birth are longer than mice, but if you have a good supply you should not run out. I have not purchased fozen thawed for some time, but I know most rodent suppliers offer rat pups as well as mouse pinkies frozen.

pdrau
10-03-2002, 01:53 AM
I'm about to order another package of frozen rodents. I want something that the smaller snakes can handle, yet something that I can feed 2 or 3 to the larger snakes and have them satisfied. Would adult mice be the best choice or rat pups?

Peter

Susan
10-07-2002, 10:16 PM
It's been discussed here before that rats seem to taste better than mice. If one of my snakes refuses a mouse a couple of times, it will usually take a rat pup. However, I have 2 now that will absolutely refuse a mouse. I breed both mice and rats, so can easily handle their preference, but if you end up with a snake that gets addicted to rats, and you then happen to be unable to get any for awhile, you're sort of stuck. I've not let my 2 picky eaters go for more than 3 missed meals before offering their favorite, so I don't know if they would eventually accept a mouse or starve to death.