PDA

View Full Version : Heads or Tails.......

Heads or Tails.......

gwb8568
03-08-2006, 11:15 PM
I have had my first snake for 5 days now and just had one question. I bought him on a Saturday and they said he was due to be fed. I bought a live pinkie, fresh and born on the same day (they didn't have frozen like he was used to). I fed it to her that night and she ate within 5 minutes, but she ate tail first. Tonight I fed her again but stopped at the pet store on the way home from work and bought some frozen pinkies. This one she ate head first. I have always thought that snakes ate head first so the fur/hair will go smoothly down their mouth and throat area. I know that pinkies don't have anything other than skin, but was that weird to eat tail first? Or could it have something to do with being a live feeder? Sorry if this has been posted before, I tried to check the whole site out to look for this answer. Thanks for anybodys response.

zwyatt
03-08-2006, 11:28 PM
No, it's not weird. Some of mine would eat them sideways, if they could fit them in that way. :rolleyes: It seems that pinkies are about as easy to eat backwards as they are forwards. Once you start getting to the bigger sizes they usually start to go head first because it's much easier to get a start that way. At least that has been my experience.

Tracee
03-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Mine actually DID eat one sideways once... Big mouse too, I was sure it would get stuck, but eventually it sort of bent in half and got forced down *yeuck*

I don't think it was anything to do with it being live. Can't have been nice to listen to :( Get some frozens stocked in the freezer and see how she goes next time.

I have seen some hilarious "bum first" photos on here before, have a(nother) search or wait for someone to post one :)

ghosthousecorns
03-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Well some of mine just seem to swallow whichever end they encounter first, others seem to try to position themselves so they can swallow their food head first.
Then there's those who are real hungry/eager and just grab the middle and then work their jaws over to one end or the other.

dionythicus
03-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Live pinks going down butt first is not pretty. I don't enjoy watching them eat live to begin with, but it was actually painful to listen to the pink and watch it squirm helplessly. Walk away.....walk away...think about nice things...

They will definitely eat from either end and it all seems to work out.

gwb8568
03-10-2006, 09:51 AM
it was actually painful to listen to the pink and watch it squirm helplessly.

That is exactly what happened...........was not a very cool site. :cry:

Cora
03-10-2006, 09:21 PM
I think sometimes its like watching them scarf down the food.. you know 'slow down and eat properly or you'll choke'! lol My favorite is when you get to listen to the bones crunching as they manover their mouth around the legs. lovely.

I think when they start eating larger mice they are more likely to eat it head first, with pinkies it doesnt matter much.