PDA

View Full Version : nearly lost in the bathtub

nearly lost in the bathtub

desertanimal
03-08-2006, 11:40 PM
Greetings, all. If this is the wrong place for this thread, please move it, but I figured it would be sure to get read here.

I have been reading around this site for a few weeks and found the lovely put-your-snake-in-the-bathtub-for-a-swim-and-a-poop threads. Seemed like a famous idea, as I really abhor poop. And a good opportunity for a little snake work-out as well.

So I'm watching my new little 05 normal motley swim, swim, swim. Try to get up the side, slide back down. Swim, swim, swim. I love the way they look when they swim. Happy, happy, happy, swim, swim, swim. Then he sees something. Stops. What is he looking at? Ain't nobody here but us chickens. :shrugs:

Before I know it, he's up the side of the tub far enough to get his head into the drainage hole under the faucet that keeps the tub from overflowing! It was fast! I knew where he was going before he got there, but I wasn't fast enough to catch him before he got his head in! Once his head was in, forget about coaxing him out--it's not a very big slit between the tub wall and the metal cover thing.

So I call my beautiful wife in the kitchen asking for a flathead screwdriver to take the metal cover thingy off.
"Do you need it this second?"
"Umm, Well, sooner would be better than later."
"Ok. Here."
"Actually I need a flathead. A big one."
She sees what's going on.
"Oh my God, Stephanie . . ."
She brings me a suitable screwdriver and disappears.

So there I am, crouching over the edge of the tub, one hand holding the snake to keep him from going in any further, the other trying to wrench the screws free without slipping and cutting the poor little snakey in half with the screwdriver. Now, if you are like me, you probably don't periodically take those metal cover plates off from time to time to make sure the screws can be easily loosened in case of such emergencies, and your screws are probably COMPLETELY frozen in by hard mineral deposits.

I got one screw loosened, but not the one by his head. Then I tried to work on the other, but the whole cover-plate thing just spun. OOPS! Bad idea. Put the free screw back in to keep the plate from spinning and catching him between the plate and the edge of the hole. TRYYYYYYYY to free the other screw without slipping with the screwdriver which is only an inch away from what is now the middle of the snake (try as you might, it's darn hard to hold a half-inch thick snake still without squishing the life out of it). TRYYYYYYY some more. No luck.

Again, the beautiful wife saves the day.
"Honey, can you help me?"
"(Sigh) Ok."
"Ok. Just hang onto him and try not to let him go in any farther." She leans over me leaning over the tub to hold the snake while I try with both hands to free the frozen screw. TRYYYYYYY to get it free without slipping and cutting the snake or wife's fingers in half with the screwdriver. No luck. Fortunately, the toolbox is nearby and I am able to use an adjustable pipe-wrench-type thingy to hold the end of the screwdriver and get more leverage on it. Dangerous because of less control over the business end of the screwdriver, but it worked.

Snake is saved. My hands are shaking. Wife is rolling her eyes about the ridiculous things that can happen with snakes.

No more little snake baths until that thing is taped over with electrical tape!!!

Unbelievable. I don't have much advice to give to you people who know lots more about keeping snakes. But I will say this: tape up the overflow drain cover thingy before giving baby snakes a bath!

Whew!

Regards,
Stephanie

zwyatt
03-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Whew!

Exactly my feelings as well!

At least he was saved and no harm done. It's surprising what strength they have once they've got just a little bit of leverage with any part of their body.

Hopefully, you won't have any excitement like this for some time! :)

BabyMowgli
03-08-2006, 11:55 PM
OK, I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time! But it sure is now! LOL! I love it! Thanks for sharing the story!

desertanimal
03-09-2006, 12:09 AM
:rolleyes:
I agree; it's funny. And I thought so at the time, really. But it wouldn't have been funny if Kristi hadn't been home to help, because he would literally have gone down the drain if I hadn't had an extra pair of hands, and I'm not at all sure that he would have come back UP the drain. Even if he did get lost but come back up the drain on his own, we have 3 cats in the house, so either way his odds wouldn't have been too good! Thank goodness my helpmate was there to help!

diamondlil
03-09-2006, 04:42 AM
:cheers: you saved him! and nearly made me fall off my chair laughing

colinmcc
03-09-2006, 07:36 AM
I know exactly how you feel.

I was giving a clutch of hatchlings (5 of them I think) a bath and one of them discovered that he couldn't get up the sides of the bath but he could climb up the chain the plug was on.

So up the chain he goes and finds the overflow hole. I spotted it once he was already about a third of his body length into it.

I did the same as you .... grabbed and held but I did manage to coax him backwards and out .... didn't have to resort to the screwdriver.

I can sympathise .... scary moment. If he'd got down the overflow he was a goner .....

Stupid snake. :grin01:

kimbyra
03-09-2006, 09:10 AM
:eek1: DUDE!
What a well written and exciting/terrifying account! I am so glad yor snake is fine now. I always bath my snakes (not often though) in a feeder bin/shoebox, and not for long. The lesson learned: bathtub=bad idea.

Tyger9791
03-09-2006, 10:27 AM
i'm sorry but i'm laughing! he actually found the overflow...my gf would've just fallen over laughing if that had happened to me...and we would've been in trouble because i know that metal plate in our tub wont budge.
i nearly made the same mistake but in the sink. Shadow had a bad shed so i was soaking him in the sink to help get the rest of the skin off. so he's happily swimming around and then he decides "ok time to get out". so he quickly lunges for the overflow hole in the sink! i guess he thought it was his snake cave...the hole is about the same size...anyway i grabbed him quick enough so he didnt escape. but that would've been a nightmare if he would've gotten into the hole...the next time if he has a bad shed i'm just going to put some water in a sterilite tub...

jenkva
03-09-2006, 10:45 AM
i'm sorry but i'm laughing! he actually found the overflow...my gf would've just fallen over laughing if that had happened to me...and we would've been in trouble because i know that metal plate in our tub wont budge.
i nearly made the same mistake but in the sink. Shadow had a bad shed so i was soaking him in the sink to help get the rest of the skin off. so he's happily swimming around and then he decides "ok time to get out". so he quickly lunges for the overflow hole in the sink! i guess he thought it was his snake cave...the hole is about the same size...anyway i grabbed him quick enough so he didnt escape. but that would've been a nightmare if he would've gotten into the hole...the next time if he has a bad shed i'm just going to put some water in a sterilite tub...You could always keep the corn from a wine bottle and cut it to the size of the overflow of the sink ;)

jenkva
03-09-2006, 10:48 AM
You could always keep the corn from a wine bottle and cut it to the size of the overflow of the sink ;):bang:

DHO! not the corN but the corK... gosh, corns on the brain... if I had a brain I would be dangerous!

kimbyra
03-09-2006, 10:57 AM
There was another thread here where someones adult (I think) corn actually did go down the sink drain. It was missing for at least a week, if memory serves, than came back up! That snake had guardian angels! There were pics of her coming out and everything. That is scary.

Tracee
03-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Oh my lordy you must've been terrified! How you stopped the snake from getting any further in/down I don't know.

I've had mine in the bath once after a bad shed and didn't even think of something like that happening! (Mind you, his head's probably 3 times bigger than the hole)

Good save :D

Tyger9791
03-09-2006, 02:59 PM
:bang:

DHO! not the corN but the corK... gosh, corns on the brain... if I had a brain I would be dangerous!

Hee hee...that might work but darn...we dont drink wine! so no corks laying around.

BeckyG
03-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Oh wow, what a great story! I'm so glad everything turned out ok, and that the snake is ok. And you have such a wonderful way with words.

bribrian
03-09-2006, 06:20 PM
That story had me on the edge of my chair, brilliant.... :grin01: :grin01: Glad you got him out.. :cheers:

snakers2486
03-09-2006, 06:42 PM
aww poor snakey! lol... at least he is safe now and didnt go all the way down, and i have to say your writing skills are fantastic! Good Luck with future baths!! :)

jazzgeek
03-09-2006, 07:12 PM
....it's not really that the bathtub was a bad idea. It's the plumbing. ;)

regards,
jazz

jenkva
03-10-2006, 03:26 AM
Hee hee...that might work but darn...we dont drink wine! so no corks laying around.Neighbours?
Familly?
Friends?
Postman?
I would offer to send you one but I think that might be quicker to find someone that drinks wine ;)

blinkstafoo182
03-10-2006, 11:57 AM
hey, i think chuck has mites, i have looked on the net and have seen some sprays, how well do these work, and which one works the best, zoo med, or something called natural cure or something. any help would be great.

blinkstafoo182
03-10-2006, 11:58 AM
oops, thought i was starting my own thread

Virago
03-10-2006, 01:54 PM
My first corn escaped from his viv and was gone about a week. One day I was
painting the bathroom, and I was standing on the edge of the bath tub. Well when I went to get down who was sticking half way out of the drain but my little friend :) yeah!!!! so I run downstairs and try to bang on the pipe maybe scare him out but no........... he pulls himself back in!!!! now what throw a few live pinks in the tub shut the light get out and just panick and hope. # minutes later Iwalk in and he's downing his second pink....hurray!!!! Saved. :)

jenkva
03-10-2006, 02:58 PM
I always like stories that end well.
You must have been so releaved Matthew.